No I haven't, but I'd like to. Where are you riding it? I find that a lot of tempting roads in Japan tend to have fools in cars going too fast and looking at the scenery.

The Stik looks wicked in a bowl if you can find one.

How much was it BTW?

paid 30,000 on yahoo auctions.

I live in the flats so i gotta push alot but its so cruizy. And it does give me a good work out. I got it on some minor downhills and it was insane. I am taking it to Oz with me at Xmas to check out some bowls.

I really bought it just to kill time on the weekends at the beach. Gives me something else to rather than to have another drink.

Mate if you are into longboards why don't you have a go at surfing? You are in a better location now!

I checked out Yafoo auctions last night and that seems to be the going rate. I love the look of the Carveboard too - but not the price of Y53,000.

Is the Stik quiet? If it is, it'd be good for riding around my 'burbs. My other boards are kinda noisy and the noise echoes off the houses.

I'll prolly give surfing a go sometime - although my current location is better for wakeboarding.

Wholly Schitte!!

Nice vid, Ocean. Is that vintage footage? The cars in the background don't seem new.

As for wakeboarding, it's really good fun but highly structured and eventually a pain in the a**. You need a lot of people, a boat and all the goods, gas money, flattish water, not many other boats around, and it is noisy and stinks of fuel. And riding around on the boat gets old. Somebody is always blasting their favorite "core" music on a CD they burned themselves, as if what they understood from vids is that any balance sport must have blaring music playing the whole time, like we were all living inside a PlayStation. AND, if you're doing it right, the falls and whiplash soon require a visit to the chiropractor. SLAM!!

Surfing is more rewarding for a 41 year-old like me. The long days in the water. The pink and slate foam. Fishes jumping, BBQs on the beach in all kinds of weather. Retiring to my tent with a flashlight and book and the sussurus of the waves lulling me to sleep. And floating around in the ocean with your mates, watching everyone have a go at the waves.

And the amazing thing is, I can hardly even surf and I enjoy it this much.

Damn! Look at my surfboard over there. Custom made by a guy in Tassie...wish I was at the beach right now.

\:D

migs, I don't know a thing about the vid. Although it seems fresh and vivid, you're right about the cars. The music isn't some moronic thrash noise either. But what strikes me as the clincher is that Gregg has his T-shirt tucked into his shorts which is not a contemporary style.

septpic2.jpeg

Indo, you're saying you have a drink problem? ;\)

Well I am strongly feeling the need for a Stik now to help with my drink problem too.

Surfing does sound tempting, but until my kid can take care of hisself in the water, I don't see myself getting the chance to do it properly. Mrs 11 is not really the beach life type.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:
Surfing does sound tempting, but until my kid can take care of hisself in the water, I don't see myself getting the chance to do it properly. Mrs 11 is not really the beach life type.
Mrs.11 takes care of 11 junior, 11 himself goes to the beach, problem solved!

Very nice video btw, thanks for the link

Thunderpants, thanks for the 'solution' there. I'll try that when I decide once and for all to become single again.

In the meantime, I'm seriously looking into the Stik (hoping to find one under 30,000 yen.) My only other concern is whether I'll be able to find a pair of boots that fit.

P10110482.jpg

this is a good thread- keep it up!

i got wet tha first time this year a cuppla weeks ago, boy was it a good feeling. apart from having jelly arms an that...

imo, nothing comes close to tha feeling ya get from surfing and everything assocciated with it- bbq`s at tha beach, coldies/hotties with ya mates/missus, road trip...

i`m not a big-wrap for long boards, but would never dis on anyone who rides one. mind you, i hope i`m never `too old`, to ride a shortboard, but if tha day comes, then so be it.

one thing i miss about `home` is just chuckin tha board in tha back of tha ute, and drivin down tha beach 30-45min. for a surf whenever i got the urge. i also miss tha feel of tha sand between me toes.

for that reason, i`m not goin `home` this year, instead, i`m gonna surf me nut off, and i encourage everyone else to do tha same... only a surfer knows the feeling ...how true, hooooww true. ;\)

ony a surfer knows the feeling ....indeed. But just not in japan. I am at the beach every weekend and the waves are doing my nut in. Luckily my son now can enjoy playing in the sand and tha wife can get a few more surfs in now that I am OVER it! Thank god I am going to indo..ahh back home lol.gif

O11,

I slide around the carpark @ the beach after midnight on the STIK without disturbing a soul.

Make sure you get a 8 ply board if you are over i think it was 75kg's. I got the 8 ply... and blue wheels!

I've got my beady eye on an 8-ply at the mo. I'm waiting to hear from these people to see if they can ship me one cheaply before I check out Yafoo.

When you got yours in the auction, did the bidding suddenly get frenzied towards the end? I haven't played auctions, and I'm wondering how sharp I need to be.

I'm getting antsy just thinking about it. I've been drooling over the vid on this page

Yeah the bidding got well crazy at the end. Just set your limit. I lost a few before I eventually won mine. Which sucked because i wanted it straight away.

if you can find someone on the auction that is selling more than one at a time its a better bet.

These boards were 3.9 man in May but now the price has gone up in to 4.3+tax in the shops. This might affect the internet price.

On place that was selling them cheap was ezrider.jp

check it out

Had a go on a BMW street carver a couple of weeks ago. Interesting ride, VERY fast and smooth but a little heavy. Needed a hand brake as it was difficult to slide. Strange turning mechamism, a pivot arm on each wheel so the board didn't automatically centre after each turn. Pretty hairy actually.

I used to have a fibreglass sector nine longboard with super wide trucks back in Tassie that was just great. Really smooth, quiet and fast, and you could use the fibreglass in the board to spring out of every turn. Great feeling and highly reccomended.

Badmigs, your board isn't shaped by Nick Stranger is it?

Hey Dims, I do have one of Nick's boards and it is a beaut. How do you know about Stranger boards?

All my J friends here are on them and one of them helped set me up with this one.

Sadly, I left surfable Japan for Walled Lake, Michigan just as it was done, and had to live for almost 2 years staring at this thing in the living room, without a surfable wave around.

Don't tell Nick and Mark, but I paddled it around Walled Lake all summer last year. Best done in the mornings. By noon, you have the drunks in powerboats and you could get shredded.

Last weekend we camped in Ibaragi I finally got to take it into the ocean. IT WORKS!!!

And I love it.

Now all I have to do is learn to surf. Still pretty much a rank beginner, but I figure I'll be doing this for decades and I'm in no particular rush to do anything except get in the water and have a beer and a camp on the beach with the gang.

\:D

Yes, Yafoo. There were 2 new ones going at the same time last night.

There's a Carveboard going tonight as well. I might find it hard not to put in a bid there too.

Skid Row ship the Stik at $205 for $55 and it takes 10 days. That compares very favourably with retail prices in Japan.

I'm looking forward to trying out cutbacks. That looks cool.

The clip didnt work for me. It loaded but just played a blank screen. Kind of like my life really (nah, just joking).

I may think about getting a grass carving variety to tear down the big green hills in the heath.

Shame about the clip. I'll be posting a few of my own soon I hope. \:\)

There's a mountainboard org in London called LARD ASS altho they may be a little earnest. (Checkout the 'London Parks' vid in the Gallery. Greenwich Park looks a good crack).

But yeah, it would be a shame to waste the opportunities that London parks and English countryside offer for a bit of harmless rolling (and controversy with park keepers, farmers, bobbies and other jobsworths).

Quote:
Originally posted by badmigraine:
Hey Dims, I do have one of Nick's boards and it is a beaut. How do you know about Stranger boards?
Well southern Tassie is a pretty small place and the surf community is hardcore but small. I used to drive past nick's store on the way down to my local break. He is a really good guy and a great shaper. I am suprised that there are a few of his boards in Japan. His website is looking much more professional these days so I hope businesss is good for him. Just out of interest, how much was your board and how long did it take to get here?

I'd love to check out southern Tassie, but I hear it works best when winter's icy flakes are in the air. Yikes!

My board cost more than usual because of the wood veneer. The price was about US$750. It is a beautiful looker and I'm pretty sure I could sell it at a profit, but I never would. The non-wood boards are cheaper.

I ordered it at the end of summer in Japan, and told Stranger I was in no particular hurry. They were busy with some existing orders right around then, and they also probably surf a lot so in the end it took a couple of months to get to me, including shipping. I was in the US at that point and had them ship it to me there.

I didn't care much about the timing. I figured that ordering a custom board from a lifestyle surfer (as anyone who surfs when it's snowing should be called) meant that I'd get it whenever he got around to being satisfied with it. I heard from Mark that he wasn't happy with the way the veneer came out the first time, so he did it all over again to get it perfect. Not bad eh.