Been there twice, but a long time ago. Fantastic place, pretty much covered the country North to South, East to West. The variety is impressive.

If I were to suggest a first time itinery, I guess the Rajastan, New Dehli, Agra, Varanasi, Kujeraho, Calcutta (and the sunderbans) would spring to mind, a sprinkling of the best, uniquely Indian bits.

Wicked place. Food is delicious! Everytime I go into an Indian restaurant here I feel like I am back in India - the smells are divine.

You should see Jaisalmer and Varanasi in the north (and of course the Taj Mahal). Further south Hampi is really chilled. Good beaches are Gokharna and a place a bit further north of there. Can't remember the name of the nearest town but you had to walk twenty minutes to get to the beach, and there was a string of four beaches. One was called Om Beach and another Half Moon Bay. Be careful of the human shite on the beach though!!

I recommended a Japanese friend to go to an Indian restaurant when he was over in England. He said that he thought it was the worst smell he had ever smelt. I love it too, hard to believe someone hates that smell so much!