I just saw some news of yet another disaster in Shizuoka - flooding again it seems \:\(

One part showed a car that was completely submerged underwater - in what seemed like an underpass type-road. I'm sure they said a woman died in the car. Perhaps I misunderstood, but er, why didn't she just get out of the car and avoid dying??

Did anyone else see that?

It depends how quickly she sunk. There are several possibilities when a car goes into water.

Disbelief, panic and inability to act rationally are typical reactions, and once the car is beyond a certain depth, it becomes nearly impossible to open the doors due to pressure differences, and the windows due to electrical failure. In that case, you need to break a window, open the door, and swim out, but you basically need a special tool to break the window, which most people don't have in their car.

lifehammer1.gif

Another possibility is heart attack from the stress.

Fair point Ocean11. Its just that from what I saw it was on a road that had a dip in it (to go under another road?) and so she must have been parked at the bottom of that dip for quite some time for all that water to engulf her....giving her plenty of time to get out. Anyway, surely she did try, it just struck me and my colleagues here as being a big strange.