This Saturday I am due to give a two hour speech on what promises to be surely some of the dullest topics ever conceived.....Public Rights of Way in the UK and the Magna Carta!!

wakaranai.gif wakaranai.gif As hard as I try to link them the harder it gets. Some people say there is no such thing as a boring speech only broing speakers, however faced with such topics I have to disagree here!! I am struggling to interest myself let alone a hall full of 150 or so of Chiba`s "finest" minds!! The Magna Carta topic as unsexy as it is has at least some amount of interesting points but the former topic.......???

SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!?????????? confused.gif

There are probibly land access groups (often walking groups) in the UK who campeign about that sort of thing and fight land owners who close paper roads etc... try searching for such a group and see if they have anything interesting to say. You might also cover access to beaches and rivers.

I done a little search for you.

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/

http://countrysideaccessforum.hants.org.uk/

http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/countryside/prow/where_cani_walk.html

I cant see how anyone here would care unless you can compare it to Japanese law.

Also I think it the Danes or the Sweeds or someone like that has some laws allowing access to most of the country side even against land owners wishes. I can't quite remember the details but I'm sure you can do the research if you care. (I mentioned that because those laws are the ideal other country's land access groups strive for)

good luck

p.s I have a friend Surveying in the UK if you need to make specific inquiries.

How about this angle;

The Magna Carta is often held up as the first stirring of democracy in Britain - the people against the tyranny of the King. In fact it was no such thing. It was an arrogation of the rights of landowning feudal barons over central authority, and 'the people' had nothing whatsoever to do with it. In fact, it put them more at the mercy of arbitrary authority than before. The popular view of history is often a cartoon version.

The trespass laws in the UK are still under constant attack by big landowners, who often try to subvert the countryside access laws with fencing and threatening signs. I once saw a sign on the gate of a field in Scotland that said "Keep Out - Adders". It is still the central authority of the (now) elected government that protects the people from landowners.

O11- Always rely on you for another angle, however acute! ;\) Similar thing am going for with the Magan Carta thing actually, going to talk about how it was more a time buying process for the King when he had no intention of actually implementing or following up on it.

As far as the Public Right of Ways goes, coming from a farm back home in UK I have my own views to give on some of he issues, especially how ramblers have been known to pretty much completely ruin our crop of wheat some years ago. However am pretty sure that the speech/lecture will soon turn into a sleep time (knowing the Japanese passion here)!!