Yes I know this is snow "Japan", however I am also aware that all here are avid snowboarders...and some of you use two sticks.

Perhaps this applies more to the Europeans but have any of you ever been to Tignes in France? Or heard any reports (good/bad/ really bad/great etc).

It's just that I am heading out there for 10 days on Boxing Day (by bus.... " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" /> ) and would like to hear what the people have to say. Also bearing in mind that most on this forum seem to be varied and well travelled in their sking/boarding experience (so I avoided the Euro sites!!)

Tignes is side by side with Val d'Isere, like one big mountain.

I liked Tignes better, was there for six days and I dont think I covered it all, so vast. So many runs so much terrain I cant really remember my memories have merged into a conglomerationof trails.

So many sweet runs especially on the very far side of Tignes( far right looking at a trail map)

There is one massive run, apparently one of the longest in the world, I can vouch that your legs are jello after one run, its 'sache' double black diamond on the extreme edge of the resort

8 km & 1300m of vert \:D , some long flat sections and needs good snow cover and depth because it goes way down to the lowest point in the whole area.

espacekillymap.jpg

ahh you lucky sod. i did a season in tignes last winter and had a great time. there is shed loads to do. the val d'isere park is pretty sweet, not a great pipe but good red and black kickers and 3 little blue kickers in a row. there are rails in abundance, nice rainbow, stepdowns and a good long flat 'un. backside and frontside hips too. the tignes park was a bag of shit last year apart from the pipe which was good. they did say they were going to take the tignes park seriously this year though.....

there are great tree runs all over the place, especially Le Fournet (far left of map) and Les Bosses (far bottom right). If you like hiking then you can get back country maps from most ski shops. There is so much accessible riding literally minutes' hiking from some of the lifts. I'd also recommend staying out of the middle area between tignes and val when it's busy. This is because everyone goes there whilst the areas such as le fournet and ski d'ete in val d'isere.

There is also ok nightlife in 'melting pot' and 'crowded house' in tignes val claret, 'angelbar' in tignes val claret. don't know about val d'isere for nightlife but i do know it's full of rich english toffs and annoying, spoilt gap year kids..... bless 'em.

if you want anymore info just ask...

tignes rocks, massive, varied terrain, good atmosphere, lift queues are never that big. i had an amazing season and rate it above whistler where i also did a season........

Thanks for the map.

Quite a positive response from all of you! I can't wait now, just 3 weeks to go! But I'm not looking forward to travelling on the bus. But going over Christmas free's up some leave for Feb/ March when I'm going somewhere else bar France....Hakuba is a little too far to travel!

Thus far my choices are:

??????

No idea yet! I hope all you English teachers etc enjoy Christmas day, trying to explain the misery on your face to your perplexed students!!!

what's all this moaning about the bus to tignes? be sure to look at the dam when you approach it. On the dam wall is a huge painting of Monsieur Killy holding up the whole damn like Hercules, it looks cool. damn i wish i was back there.