Can I use credit cards to buy train tickets?

Coming to Japan for first time.

I can use a credit card to buy train tickets, right?

How about ski rentals and lift tickets?

I hear Japan is a cash-based society, but I also hear you can use your cellphone to buy a coke at a vending machine, so what's the deal on CC's?

Cheers

don't know about others who live here...but after two of my American CCs were not accepted at the JR Midori-guchi (where U buy JR Bullet train tickets), I had to use my Japanese CC and it was OK.

never had problems with my foreign CC anywhere else

Some resorts in Hakuba take credit cards, some do not. Happo definitely takes them. For rental, shouldn't be a problem, you can always shop around if you are refused, there are many to choose from (again, at Happo/Hakuba village).

As for the foreign card thing - sometimes the swip machines don't recognise them, and so places say you can't use them. If you're insistant and have them type in the number/call up the card company, there shouldn't be a problem.

maXXX

Yes, you can use your credit cards to purchase train tickets at 'Midori no madoguchi'.

Sometimes your credit cards don't work even at some shops which hang signboards of Visa , Master, Diners, Amex whatever. It really depends on what kind of contracts they have with their credit card companies. If I remember right, I could choose whether I accepted credit cards issued anywhere or only in Japan when I had contracts with credit card companies and I didn't have any reasons to refuse cards issued aborad so I chose former ;\) - more than 15 years back, so my memory is kinda vague \:D

So, even when you find credit cards signboards, sometimes your cards don't work if they are foreign issued. You just need to know it. It doesn't mean your cards have some troubles like over limit etc eek.gif

As Miteyak say, 2 post offices in Hakuba own ATM machines with which you can draw some Japan yen cash with your credit cards - it doesn't matter your cards issued in Japan or not there!

Have fun in my town ;\)