Yeah I know it's a joke but I want my family over there to upgrade from prehistoric dial up to "SUPER FAST BROADBAND". I want to do some research for them, so anyone with experience able to recommend a good supplier.

One that seems good is WANADOO 17.99 for 1mbps.

Cost is the main factor by the way (not because of poverty or anything, more a prevailing "why the hell do we need broadband and spend more, I don't need that" kinda attitude) \:\)

Anyone?

Hi brit-gob

I use plus net:

http://www.plus.net

£14.99 pcm for 1mb broadband, limited to 1gb download pcm (they charge you about £1 per gig once you go over that amount). I'm on a monthly contract so can cancel contract with only one months notice. I think there's approx. a £70 one off set up fee for monthly contracts. They can supply adsl modems/routers. I would buy adsl modem independantly as the ones they supply are bog standard generic. Get a standalone router/modem and there's no need to connect everytime you switch on your pc plus it'll be your firewall. Plusnet service ok, tech support via email is quick, no downtime so far and the speeds are within 10% of 1 mb. If speed is not an issue they do a 512 mb service for £14.99 pcm with unlimited download. Thumbs up from me. (just reads this and I sound like a salesman for plus.net - I'm not ) Also try bulldog adsl. I'm based in London but coverage is pretty good across UK. Hope this is of use.

What's internet connection like in Japan, I know that a lot of traffic over there is via mobile phones. Do many people use the internet at home or is access mainly at work (or school for all those ELT's watching the snowcams?)

\:\)

Internet in Japan is amazing. 40MB unlimited downloads the norm. mad.gif

A mate uses Wanadoo says its good.

I use BT, hate them (but thats just part of being British I suppose). I really must change.

40mb!!!! eek.gif Wow.

Then again with that sort of bandwidth I'd waste even more of life glued to my keyboard. I'm about to design a site for a small Japanese company in Tohoku, so this means I don't have compress the life out of the images.

Yeahh jump ship, leave BT. There are some good deals out there, but we're still lagging (no pun intended) behind other countries.