Thinking of doing this test...

What kind of level is it aimed at? Is there just one test for people of all standards? Any thoughts on the value of this test in terms of employability?

[For the record I passed JLPT 3kyu two years ago, and I am at JLPT 2kyu level now]

Im gonna do it too bobby12 and just got the application in the mail the other day. Think its like June 20th or something eh?

Seems to be more well-rounded that the JLPT but its primary focus is on business so it will be different from JLPT. I read 東洋経済雑誌 to help me with that so hopefully it wont kick my @ss. Checked out JETROs books on it and the grammar looks pretty easy, it will just be the business words/keigo that will be the hardest I think.

Think this test would be quite valuable for employment, along with JLPT too. Thats why Im doing it mate \:\)

If you have J proficiency Level 1 you will fly through it. Just watch for the Aural test which at 70+mins is way to long to ask someone with a hangover to concentrate.

The optional Oral Exam is a bicht too!

In mine I had a Bucho from JETRO doing role plays with me and he was a right a-hole! Didn't matter how I tried to take the conversation he would rebut all. In fact now that I think about it there really wasn't much in the way of productive oral testing and more, can you handle it type badgering from this oyaji. I am angry still and it was over 4 years ago! I think I need help.

Thats encouraging Mogs - I failed JLPT 1 2 years ago but should (had better) pass it this year.

I am more worried about the role play as well as I dont use that much business language in daily life.

They say theres no way to prepare for it; do you agree with that? Anyway to help improve/do better on the role play?

You can prepare for the Oral by reading business reports etc in J and familarising yourself with the business Jargon. This of course goes for the main part of the test also.

I would highly recommend spending sometime in meetings to get the flow of how J business meetings go. This will give you an understanding of the correct catch ball type conversation that will be tested on.

In my test I had a role play on an HR issue; I was to be transferred out of the office to a subsidy and I had to reject due to family reasons. Bearing in mind that this does not really happen in J companies where they say, you go. The second role play was a phone conversation.

In both situations I had to use the formal languages appropriate to the situations.

I was at a bit of an advantage cause the uni I went to in NZ used to test us Orally (smirk) every Friday using impromptu situations. Great course this was.

Most of all just practice your formal styles, both humble and honourable, and learn the jargon and you will have no troubles.

Oh and watch out for numbers. In business using figures decimaled to the thousand or million is really common. Practice these cause they were in both the Aural and the Reading test.

Sorry, didn't mean to down the spirits...

Really the basics aren't too much different to the JLPT and if you think you did well, then you won't have that much trouble.

You might just surprise yourself at how much you already know but didn't realise it.

example??:

mogs:部長、何故お前は俺に頼むんだい?自分でやりん ;さいーや!

部長:mogs差し支えなければこれをやってくれません か?頼むんだから。mogsを除いて出来る人は居ないん ですよ。分かった、分かった、ボーナスプラス三 313;%上げるんならどうですか?

mogs:よーし!!じゃ、お前待ってて。

五分後

mogs:部長、はい、あんたのコーヒだ

どう??  lol.gif \:D

that how you wing it 99% mogs? \:D

Yeah pretty much so. Except I only speak da 標準語 & I add a few English sperlatives in between some of the J words for better effect.

Oh and at 3.13% increase you have got to be kidding! I am defintely not that cheap! (Unless the Buchou is hot female in her ealry 20's and has a little more extracurricular acitivites to offer.) \:D

Im doing the ORAL Jetro test in April too ... I really dont know what to expect apart from Role plays and phone conversations etc. but that is what I do all do most days at work so it should not be too bad. It's just difficult to know whether the language you are actually using on the phone and in meetings etc. is actually correct in terms of "keigo".

Seriously though, do employers care about JLPT & Jetro? I have both now but have not had many great job offers or anything after sending a few companies my resume ...

I have had JLPT and JETRO Level 1, Oral A, for the past 5 years and neither my current employer nor any future ones seem to give a toss.

If you go to an interview anyway things pretty much speak for themselves right?

I don't think here in Japan these make much difference, but if you want to join a J company overseas then you should come up top candidate with either of these plus your usual abilities.

Most of getting both to these certifications is about personal satisfaction and testing onesself after completion of formal education. And perhaps brag rights...

I definitely agree with you about that Mogs. After that many years studying Japanese you get a certain amount of satisfaction out of getting JLPT Level 1 in particular.

The ranking system for JETRO has changed however, and there is no longer "Levels", so to speak, but rather "ranks". If you get over the J1 rank you get the right to pay 10000yen to sit the Oral test. Wow!

I definitely rank passing the JLPT Level 1 a lot higher than the Jetro test though. There is so much hype about the JLPT and the huge numbers of people that turn out to do it make you pretty psyched to do well. On the other hand, the Jetro is small and doesnt seem nearly as important for some reason, although the test is probably a lot more practical for people wanting to use Japanese in a career.

So there is just one test right? That means if you have great Japanese you have to sit through loads of questions like 'what is this (tree) kanji' before they Qs get hard? And if you are merely 2kyu level like me then you get lost halfway through when it gets really hard?

And you only do the Oral test if you get a really high mark, right?

Quote:
Originally posted by mogski:
(Unless the Buchou is hot female in her ealry 20's and has a little more extracurricular acitivites to offer.) \:D
Anada sukebe oyaji found here! \:D

Yama, If I could adjust it,

mogs ;何故 あなたは、私に 頼むのですか? 自分で 2377;ればいいじゃないですか!
部長;mogs, お願いだから、差し支えなければ、これをやって 367;れませんか? mogs のほかに出来る人はいないから。わかったわかっ 383;。ボーナス**%アップするならどうですか? 
mogs; よーし、じゃちょっと待っててください。

5分後

mogs;部長、はい、あなたのコーヒーです。

--- いまいち状況がよくわからないが。。。editted by gamera