hello all

My friends and I will be making our second snow trip to Japan next year and we were considering bringing a couple of handheld UHF radios this time.

Here in Australia the 40 channel UHF band starts at 476MHz.

I think in Japan the band starts at 422MHz. The 476MHz freq in Japan seems to be reserved for "broadcasting" but I don't have any further details on that.

My questions are:

1. Any other Australians on this forum already tried bringing their gear to Japan? was there interference?

2. Can someone give me some more details on what the 476MHz range is used for in Japan?

I know its illegal to use the incorrect frequency and of course I do not want to use them if I'll be causing some other service (eg. ski patrol, police etc) any trouble with their communications.

thanks

Mate I used a couple of uniden radios on the same band (purchased in Australia, may have even been the same model) for a couple of years over here and never had a problem, I even tested them when I got them over here by talking to my girlfriend on the other side of sapporo city. I wasnt even aware of the bandwidth issue. I seriously doubt youll be locked up or anything. If you have rechargeable batteries youll need to go to the shop and pick up a transformer that fits the Japanese power sockets.

thanks Yamakashi & peaker

I wasn't really worried about getting caught, it was more just that I didn't want to be the cause of a helicopter crashing into a mountain or something totally ridiculous like that \:\)

I've already got the power point adaptor from the last trip, so if I can just keep the radio dry, we should be set.

cheers