Hello Peoples

We are planning our first taste of Japan snow in Niesko, we had planned on the 4th to 18th of feb. We have found that these dates are nearly full and to expensive, we have been advised to move trip to early march. Can anyone tell me what the snow conditions and snow fall stats are for previous years? Is it worth it or should we plan it for next year?

Thanks heaps Simon

Hey, aussie boy, early March is unlikely to be a problem. Don't expect great powder though. I've been there in late March and the lower parts of the courses were starting to get slushy but the upper parts were fine and fresh new snow was quite common.

Yeah shouldnt be a problem, I been there late march and early april and it was still good (read shit loads better than aussie), but watch the reports and check out the snowfall throughtout the season as last season was pretty shit in Niseko didnt snow till dec 25th in any real amount and I got some spring conditions in mid feb last year so march conditions will depend on how the main part of the season fairs, best of luck to us all.

because i am a total nerd i kept a snow diary. last march in niseko there was great snow (10 - 20cm most nights) for the first 10 days of march, then a couple of good days in the middle of the month and then that was pretty much it for the season. after that it was slush and warm, and there was one small dump at the start of april.

of course anything could happen this year - it could be better, it could be worse, who knows?

if you really want to go to niseko then you could probably leave it till quite late to book - as soon as feb ended all the aussies went home and the place was relatively empty.