I am looking for a red Black Diamond shovel with a telescopic handle and the BIG! blade, it was available in Japan last season but they seem to have released all new models this season. This shovel is huge so you will know it if you have seen it, i am looking to buy another one so if you know where one is please let me know.

Cheers

FYI, I was just at the MontBell store in Sapporo Factory yesterday before a movie, and they indeed had BD shovels, but nothing enormous as you initially described... there were three models represented, and the largest one was no wider than 30CM or so.

I'll second the big shovel debate. usually when you are in a frantic dig (not that I have any experience), you have to dig deep and fast. A long handle (often removeable) is really hard to dig narrow/deep holes with. And all your friend needs is a hole to breath. But he needs it now. Also, you'll probably be on your knees and even your chest reaching down into a small hole. A big shovel could prove counter-productive.

so maybe I should just carry a spoon in the bc.

Fish tails are a selection of wide/poweful or thin/fast. If I were a fish, I'd prefer fast. And hopefully my partner appreciates my reasoning behind a fast shovel.

I have a Voile and although I've used it quite a bit so I know it does everything a snow shovel should, I thankfully haven't had to use it to extract anyone yet. It's the one with the tempered blade with belaying slots (don't remember the model name or number).

Shovel selection is a personal thing, personally i like bigger blades and yes i have used one under pressure and found no problems. I think the inportant thing is to make sure all your crew has one! this post was me looking for a shovel not opinions...