Fattwins and I were PMing about this but it looks pretty sweet and thought I would share.

Mt. McKenzie ski hill in Revelstoke British Columbia is looking to get much much bigger.

Quote:
The $270-million project includes more than 16,000 beds, full guest service facilities, an 18-hole golf course, a multi-use trail system, 25 lifts and 100 ski and snowboard trails.

It will have the fourth-highest vertical ski drop in the world – steeper than any run at Whistler

The new Mt. MacKenzie resort will be about one-third the size of Whistler, and comparable to the Big White and Sun Peaks resorts

Not sure how true that is but sounds pretty cool. Parts are going to be ready for the 2010 Olympics.

i haven't read the article, but has makenzie cat skiing sold the property? that resort has been in consideration for many years but the cat skiing op is not willing to sell some crutial land. and it is understandable, the new resort will kill the operation. but last i heard was that they were simply waiting for someone to cough up money for the ruduculous price.

the other big issue with revy much like golden, is that there is no real way of getting masses of people into the area with ease. however there is talk of a new cp rail line that will connect calgary with kamloops in the winter much like the rocky mountaineer does in the summer.

regardless, it will be a massive place. and some of the terrain they intend to work with is simply rediculous.

but mainly below treeline. and revy has not been getting the same snowfalls they have in the past. ever since the damn was put in the area has warmed quite significantly and it is quite warm in the winter. mackenzie's base is low. like 1500ft.

but if it works out it will certainly reformat the face of skiing destinations in north america

Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
and revy has not been getting the same snowfalls they have in the past. ever since the damn was put in the area has warmed quite significantly and it is quite warm in the winter. mackenzie's base is low. like 1500ft.
Really? That is really pretty interesting. I guess because water holds heat pretty good for a long time. Not really sure. I would like to know more about that.
Is is going to access some good backcountry?

Is Kamloops international?
Still like 3 hours away. But it is an option.

I still find it so amazing. 1800 metres vertical eek.gif

the biggest selling feature to this potential resort is reve's infastructure. it unlike so many quite little towns is capable of dealing with (to an extent) the rise in traffic to the area. in fact much of the town is embracing the potential change.

and as fattwins has pointed out, kamloops has an international airport. hence the train connection between calgary and kamloops.

as far a backcountry access, yes. lots. so much you cannot possible comprehend it. and to top it off it is less then an hour from roger's pass! so, if the resort does come to fruition then the area of the selkirks and purcells will be truly unbeatable; two huge resorts with all the modern facilities, unbelievable in-bounds terrian, ample DRY relativly stable snow, and slack country that can't be beat within two hours of each other. with also perhaps some of the best backcountry in the world between them.

yeah drooling you could say.