Samurai, SM, Daver, Toque、stuntcok Ski question?

Ok so I'm at the decision point for spring touring and I find myself debating which skis to go to. Right now I have my kahru 190 cm jaks mounted with freerides 97mm waist. I really love them because I can rip high speed carves with them. The only thing I’m a bit worried about is a tighter chute, which I am always looking to ski. The skis I would be switching to are dynastar little big fats 179cms and 88mm in the waist. A great GS ski I actually really like them but this is the debate. My skiing has taken a style change recently with speed ramping up on all fronts. The last time I skied I made 5 turns where the snowboarders where making 8 to 9. That’s not to brag it’s to give you some info on the turn radius I’m doing as of late. Feedback guys lets hear it!

The LBFs and the Jaks are about the same weight.

Thinking about it, I would go for the shorter skis if you only use them in spring. I almost exclusively use 180 centre mounted park skis in spring and don't miss the longer nose very much. I can still rail on them and they are more manuverable than 190 Gotamas I use in winter.

I don't think it is about how fast you want to go or how tight a couloir you'll ski

More about which ski do you not care about as much and can get trashed

Spring BC skiing is bad on gear no matter how much you try to avoid the obstacles

I'd mount up the LBFs

You have had them for a while and a core shot or ski across a paved road won't be too much concern

If you really are planning on skiing into June the snow is going to be the pits by then anyways and going really fast will just be dangerous. Remember all the ice bulges that were forming when you and I skied that line near Korenge last June. Not really cruising snow.

A longer ski will be nice however if you are out late in the day and the snow has turned a bit isothermic. Even though the isothermic snow I experienced in Japan is in no way as bad as what I have been skiing lately

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
The last time I skied I made 5 turns where the snowboarders where making 8 to 9. That’s not to brag it’s to give you some info on the turn radius I’m doing as of late.
Sorry for high jacking your thread FT but I need to make a comment on that.

That might be sign that you are getting old my friend, it might not be a gear issue. :p

I'll second the bros due to their shape, assuming the LBF's don't float your boat anymore. I really don't have any other suggestions if you are also on a mantra and don't want to go even bigger.

Besides, if I had that many touring options, I'd be awake all night debating which would be better.

The mantras i wont be getting for another month or so maybe.

Right now my choices are the jak 190-98waist

or

the dynastar lbf 179-88waist

If I do get the mantras both skis will be up for sale next year.

If I had your quiver, I would clean up the LBF's and get their bases new again. Then I would consider both the mantra (for it's versatility) and an even bigger/stiffer/less side cut ski; ie Katana/Squad. Why are you looking to replace the dynastars? Are they broken? Do you really do that many days touring where you want a ski that small? It's just that you mentioned a drastic increase in your turning radius, yet are looking for a lightweight ski for spring touring.

The big problem I'm having is that lightweight usually involves a foam core ski. And I don't know of any foam-core skis that have 30 range+ radiai.

If I wanted a small/stable/straight ski for touring, I honestly can't come up with anything off the dynastar line aside from the bros. And then, if I had those dynastars- I wouldn't be able to justify buying another ski that size. You have a pair of spats, right? either way, I think a big/stiff ski would really compliment your quiver well.

Actually, I don't think I'll ever buy a ski that small again. I currently have my jetfuels/system binding (186. 126-84-112) and my gotamas/fritche (183. 130-105-120) My gotamas are way lighter than my jetfuels and so versatile that I can't imagine wanting a smaller ski in any conditions touring. Actually, I think even the mantra will be outgrown by you or will become a piste ski if you had something even bigger. I don't think bigger means less versatile anymore.

Not many people will want to carry a wood/ metal fattie on their back, but touring with them on your feet I don't imagine to be anymore work than anything else. My gotamas are cake and I really am hungry for a bigger ski.

I guess my point is... expand your quiver, don't replace it unless you intend on replacing everything.

if it were for simply this one run and you had both to choose from, i would take the LBF. but this is for your set up for the run and beyond until you retire the set up.

they are the same weight and although the Jaks are bigger, they are quite similar in dimension as the LBF. you won't be able to carve the chute in the Jaks, but then again you won't to in the Jaks either. i can't see why you would want to slim down you system for simply one run. if it need come to it on the run, you will still be able to do 100m of spiess on your Jaks. that's not worth changing your whole set up for.

i can't see why you would want to use the Jaks on hill, if it were me, they would hence forth be retired skis.

the LBF on the other hand can work as a resort/rock ski and still be a fun crud buster.

the jaks were/are my deep powder touring skis. As for the mantras they havent entered the quiver yet. I was promised them by a friend but we will have to see.

Im looking to slim down my quiver to 3 skis cause thats all that I use.

Quote:
Originally posted by daver:
you won't be able to carve the chute in the Jaks, but then again you won't to in the Jaks either.
just to clear any confusion, i meant to say ....Jaks, but... LBFs either.