Getting on one of these puppies makes takes me back 18 years or so, when i first started snowboarding.

For one, it is insanely fun, its like when you were just figuring out how to snowboard, and you couldn't quite control your turns. It was scary, but fun at the same time.

And just like it was 18 years ago, i get all kinds of stares and questions about what i'm riding.

If you haven't seen a snowskate, there are two types. One is basically a plastic skateboard deck, with grooves on the bottom to keep you sliding straight. But they are hard to turn, and have no metal edges, so you won't see them at the hills.

The other kind is a bi-level, its just a skateboard deck mounted on a short ski. It is allowed at several resorts, and turns like a snowboard (kind of).

The biggest attraction and challenge to riding these things is that there are NO BINDINGS. You are free! It turns the bunny hill into a double black diamond!

I have been riding them on and off for a few years now, and they are the most fun in spring slush, when it is easiest to to grip the snow (they are really difficult to use on ice, because its so hard to keep and edge, and the short contact length).

here are some photos of me and my girlfriend (she say how much fun i was having, and bought one for 4000 yen on yahoo) at Yu no Maru this last weekend.

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

i actually didn't land this until the camera was put away

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

she was doing way better than i ever did on my first day! Later she told me that she has sk8boarded when she was younger

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

snowboarding sucks!! Lets drop-knee carving!

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

a different angle

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

first day, and she was sliding the box!

if any of you like skateboarding, and want to try something new, i highly reccoment you pick one up.

For less than the price of one piece of new snowboard equipment (board, boots, bindings), you can look stupid flailing around like a punter too!

I must admit I've never come across these before... looks like another new way for me to break my face confused.gif

Still, I wish I could slide the box on my first day. Don't really want to remember my first attempt a couple of weeks ago.

I've seen these in Cali - they are popular to mess around on at lunch time along with Mystix, beanie bags, etc. But I've never seen anyone take them onto the mountain let alone into the park. Sounds like fun...

Oh, they are a riot! The tricks you can do on boxes with them are ridiculous, stuff i would never try on a real skateboard...

In Whis and Lake Louise in Canada, there are a few hard-core guys that take them into the pipe and stuff too. Hell, Lake Louise even had a boarder-cross for snowskates, and that was a gong-show.

You can take them off jumps too, this is by far the biggest one i've ever done, but i've heard rumors of guys pulling benihanas over 20-foot tables.

http://snowboard.colonies.com/anti-bling/galleries/video/8916/21134/

Saw a kid riding one at Sunshine last year. I bought one a few seasons back on sale in Whistler, but haven't had the balls to ride it yet. The owner's manual has an illustration of someone with a snowskate stuck into his abdominal cavity and blood issuing forth!

Oyuki, it's in the box in Hawaii right now. If I manage to try it this season and crack my head open and get all disillusioned with it, I'll let you know.

BTW, it's a Burton Junkyard.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bushpig:
looks sweet! I'd give it a go for sure! How bad are the spills Oyuki?
Well, a lot of the time you just end up running off the board if it stops, but you fall a lot like as if you were learning to snowoard. Most of the falls i've had involve slipping out of your edge, so its just a lot of butt-checking.

And Ezorisu, i has a junkyard before. They are fun in the park, but too short to really cruise on. If you ever get it over here, i moght be interested in buying it (if my description of falling hasn't put you off from doing it yourself).

I want to get a snowsk8 posse together and take over the mountains in the spring!

Skate shoes are probably the best, except that they are gonna get soaked. If someone could make a cross between a high-cut sneaker and a waterproof boot with some traction for snow, that would be ideal.

I rock some 8-year old burton leather freestyles, that are hella soft, but still supportive and waterproof.