I ripped a binding off the ski this weekend, stripping the screwholes. I am told the only fix is helicoils. I am not even sure what a helicoil is (I think it is the metal screw holes like those that hold on a snowboard binding). Does anyone know where I could get this done?

what kind of skis are they?

This is a pretty big repair, imo. personally, I would drill out and clean every hole. then fill each with a metal-based epoxy. then, I would find a riser plate that allowed me to go around the original mounting holes.

sorry I can't recommend any shops in tokyo.

How about a different binding then?

Actually, what is the construction of that ski? Most epoxies will eat foam cores, leaving you... well... s-o-l actually. But if it is wood, you're still in the game. (which I assume it is if it "ripped" out.)

If you use epoxy use a slow cure meaning 24 hour cure rate. It should be alright for foam core skis.

Another option is to fill them with a plug Use a small amount of epoxy and a plug .

The page I directed also has the helicals you mentioned although I've never used them.

Those plugs mentioned above are only used to fill the old holes when changing to different bindings or bootsize. Using Plastic helicoils is you best option and is a easy job when you have the jig for the bindings that have to be remounted and also the special drill bit for the helicoils which are tools usually only a ski workshop will have.

Helicoils are actually like a stiff kind of spring, that is screwed into oversized holes, often use to use them on an engine years ago, if the spark plug was put in on the piss and the threads got stripped.

Helicoils are by far the safest, if done correctly will last the entire life of the ski, epoxy glues, etc, tend to work harden and can crack or even effect the rest of the surface.

If I were you I'd either go for helicoils or ditch the skiis and get new ones.

Working as an engineer for more than 10 years, I have a lot of experience in this field.

Sorry don't know where in Tokyo you can get that done, but should be quite cheap. You might want to check out the phone directory and find an engineering company, they almost certainly would be able to do it, ot know someone who can.

Hope that helps you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuntcok:

I ripped a binding off the ski this weekend, stripping the screwholes. I am told the only fix is helicoils. I am not even sure what a helicoil is (I think it is the metal screw holes like those that hold on a snowboard binding). Does anyone know where I could get this done?