Well, i just wrote AK a big-ass review of the park in the hope that he will get stoked to come over and ride it. I figured i would share it with all my Snow Japan friends too.

Anyways, i went back to my home hill again on the weekend. On saturday i wanted to ride with Hime, but i got roped into a lesson, so we didn't get to ride together until after the lesson ended at 3. We went up, and got our pics taken by the park guys. They run a blog about the park, and take pics every day. I never get on, ( i think my ugly grabs are hard on the camera) but on our 2 or 3 runs through the park, we got on there. here is the link

http://yachiho-2006.seesaa.net/archives/20070318.html

if you can find me (i'm the one doing a grab no japanese kid would be caught dead doing), Hime is 5 photos below me, doing a tight indy.

You can also get a look at the park. The layout is like this,

1-small 2-meter kicker, good for learning switch roast beefs and butter 9s.

yachiho-2006-2007-03-08T08:28:25-1.jpg

Gnarliest Trick I Have Ever Seen thrown down on it-fs 5.

2-there used to be another 2 or 3 meter kicker, a little flatter that the first that you could go a little bigger on here. But in preperation for the big-air contest on April 1st, they built it up into a smooth 6 meter kicker.

yachiho-2006-2007-03-16T08:39:02-1.jpg Good for cross rockets, or b/s 270 to scorpion on the knuckle (i saw A LOT of those yesterday)

GTIHES-yesterday i saw some rock stars throwing down b/s 7s and a kinda 90-roll thingy. Some skier just barely got a 9 around, and was screaming like a schoolgirl.

then the park spreads out a bit.

you can take 2 or 3 different lines.

line a) a 3-meter narrow box (slightly wider than a board, knee height), great for f/s tail slides or nose presses)

yachiho-2006-2007-03-03T07:23:15-1.jpg

GTIHES its wierd, nobody gets too tech on it for some reason. Yesterday i was trying to cruise into it sideslipping, jump the gap and landing in b/s boardslide, and then land in sideslip, but a couple of times i mistakenly jumped off my toes, caught my edge, and almost ****ing died...ha ha!

which leads to the flat rail (3 meters, rib height, good for b/s butter 450 on, pretzel out? ha ha!)

yachiho-2006-2007-03-08T08:38:17-1.jpg

GTIHES- i dunno, maybe a f/s board slide? All the kids that ride here are from Shizuoka or Yamanashi, so thay are not rock stars or anything. All those good guys ride the big parks.

and then onto a flat-down rail (about 2-meter flat to 2 1/2 meter down, rib height, great for committing suicide).

yachiho-2006-2007-03-08T08:41:36-1.jpg

GTIHES-haven't seen anything too gnarly thrown down on that either, but there is a girl who tries 50-50 to f/s boardslides.

line B) the kiddie route. The is a tiny little 1 meter kicker (good for... nothing. Its too small for anything, even on a snowsk8)GTIHES- Tailblock on the table of it

that goes into a shin-height 1 meter-wide table, 2 1/2 meters long.

yachiho-2006-2007-03-01T08:43:16-1.jpg

Good for practicing your Micheal Jacksons

GTIHES- everyone just tries to steeze out and do ****ing f/s tailslides. BORING. If you don't believe me, check out the website blog i posted.

070318-41.jpg

line c) there is a giant pop-can type-of thing that is like 3 or 4 meters long, and 1 1/2 meters in diameter. Its kind of stupid, i have seen more injuries on that than anything else. People catch their edges on it somehow, and fall headfirst 3 meters to the icy landing. I have heard too many horror stories and now boycott the ****er. Plus if you fall, you get your white and gold matching burton gear all dirty, and NOBODY wants that.

But i have seen some cool stuff on it.

GTIHES- some dudes just air the whole thing and tap the end of it.

from the can, you can hear to either the table, or the rail line.

i hope this whets your appetite for easy park riding, and gets you out here. You can see some of the park on the photos on that sight, and it is by far the best-maintained park i have ever seen.

It is groomed not once, but TWICE, daily. They shut it down at lunch, run the cat on the jumps, and re-sculpt all the kickers.

Plus, there are park guys on both the jumps. they a) check the landings for you, and keep the kicker gouge-free, and

B) have a shovel, and a pile of snow besied them. They contiually throw snow on the landing so it doesn't get too icy!!! Park otaku!!!

070318-7.jpg

And all the jumps are perfectly sculpted. Like ANALLY sculpted. I almost feel a little spoiled riding there.

Yachiho Kogen is located in south-east Nagano, about 45 minutes south of Sakudaira. It is a beautiful spot, but a small hill. Only 4 lifts and 5 runs. But it has by far the best atmosphere i have experienced at any hill in Japan. The lifties are all friendly, and the park guys cheer for everone who jumps. I love it!

if anyone has any questions about it, let me know. I work part-time at the snowboard school there. and if anyone wants to come down to ride (AK, EBC, Kuma, and anyone else, for that matter) let me know! You can crash at my place.

The last day of the season is April 1st, and there will be a big-air contest that day.

i wish that was me! I would totally enter the contest if i had an outfit like that!

Thats a female friend of mine. The outfit actually belongs to one of the lifties, they wear that stuff all the time! yachiho rips!

070318-11.jpg

i was riding with this guy yesterday, he had styly bs 180s!

oyuki - thanks for the super duper deluxe park review.... nice one thumbsup.gif

if i'm right, i think i have a free ticket for there... thanks ben! might just come over and check it out, would really like to. am torn between that, and using my hakuba valley pass while i can before it runs out though thumbsdown.gif

speaking of free tickets, i got stoked on park too yesterday, thanks to SJ - i used my free ticket to tsugaike and spent the day in the very well maintained terrain park they have up top there. the snow was perfect for park yesterday, perfect - and the park dudes are out there keeping it sweet all day. tons of boarders in there, only one or two other skiers in the house. really nicely spaced out park with some medium and small kickers, boxes, rails.... actually tons of stuff going on in that park - but the half pipe umm wasn't shaped at all boooo. i'm losing the fear, and went off the kickers real fast yesterday, it felt good... so much fun. also perfecting my 180s off small stuff.

here's a pic alex took of me grinding across a feature yesterday...

eskimobasecamp_294.jpg

hahaha thanks ben for the vote of encouragement, but i'm not sure if me straightairing off a quite small kicker counts as big air... but you never know ha ha.

when is the competition? ohh ok april 1st.

other details? how much to enter?

here is the website for the contest

http://yachiho-montblanc.co.jp/news/onemake.html

i don't see an entry fee anywhere, it might just be open if you have a lift ticket.

But you do need a helmet to enter.

and here is a pic of the dude that was doing the 90 rolls.

070318-100.jpg

all i have to say is, if you are gonna rock a pink jacket and polka-dot pants, you had better be good!

i saw the board too. he had better be able to do double corks to ride on a board that gay.

just kidding, AK. I actually really like it. You should paint your white jacket (the pockety one) to match!

No, seriously!

I don't think that there are any trains that go right to Yachiho, they stop slightly before and after Yachiho-mura, i think. But if there is, it would be on the "Koumi" (small sea) line.

If you want to come to my place. there is the Shinano line that runs from Nagano to Karuizawa. My stop is called Miyota. I live pretty close to the station.

You can also catch a Seibu bus from Ikebukuro to Miyota as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
here is the website for the contest

http://yachiho-montblanc.co.jp/news/onemake.html

i don't see an entry fee anywhere, it might just be open if you have a lift ticket.

But you do need a helmet to enter.

and here is a pic of the dude that was doing the 90 rolls.
070318-100.jpg

all i have to say is, if you are gonna rock a pink jacket and polka-dot pants, you had better be good!
damn AKs got mad style! Jacket matches his socks! Wonder if his T-back is the same color? ;\)