That's probably a little difficult to quantify without statistics, but from what I recall about Niseko the 2 times I've been there, the first time in 1998 and the second time in 2005:

1) it was equivalently crowded both times

2) there were few gaijin in '98

3) there were noticably more gaijin in '05

It's not like there were 50% Japanese and 50% gaijin in '05, but they were visibly present. I almost wonder if my squirrel posse and myself made up a quarter of the possible dozen foreigners in Niseko in '98!

:p

The number of gaijin visitors is assuredly going up, but I don't really think the number of Japanese visitors is going down.

Strawberry fields and hirafu peak get tracked out right away... from the hut is a little less tracked since not everyone wants to hike 20 minutes, and there are tons of other powder caches on the mountain with an all mountain pass :-)

It seems to me like more non-Japanese come here every year, and if they do ever open up the two middle bowls I imagine that will just continue to increase.

yea, I was talking with one of my guides and he mentioned that in the past a lot of people used to ride the bottom of yu no sawa, but then a few 'accidents' happened and now not even the locals on snoeshows touch it, nante...