WE are coming to japan from Oz for 2 weeks (9 of us :age range 4 - 48).

I want to rent phones to stay in touch with each other and people in Oz. Im told that email is the same as SMS in Australia.

Im having trouble understanding how someone in Oz can email a handset in Japan?

Also on the net there is a variety of networks (DoCoMo, 3G WCDMA, etc)

Can anyone advise me which would best? We will be around Furano, Asahidake, and Sapporo, Jan 13-25.

Thanks

Vodafonw JP and Docomo are well covered in Hokkaido for 3G roamers.

VERY VERY expensive to amek and receive calls while roaming. It costed me $HK10 per min.

SMSs sent to your roamer is free though, so get your people to SMS you the gossip.

I actually just got a phone from docomo yesterday, i paid about $45 USD for the phone, charger, and activation. At the end of the month, $5 activation. At the end of the month, it should be another $40 for unlimited text and 20yen/minute of 200 for unlimited text and 20yen/minute of 2000 yen for calls. The text was only $2.

You set up an email for the phone, mine is hiiambang" email for the phone, mine is hiiambang@docomo.ne.jp the phone for instance. you can email it through regular email, or my sister has even texted me through her US phone.

Just dont get ripped off on your rental. I checked an office in the US for rental. I checked an office in the US for japanese phone rental and it was $6 USD a day, not including minutes.

Last time in went to japan. I rented a mobile phone from the following link

http://www.digi-promotion.com/go-mobile-phone-rentals-japan.html

There is a promotion code at the bottom of the page. Use it to get the discounted rate.

It works out pretty cheap at AUD$60 for 2 weeks plus call costs.

You can get the phone forwarded to the first place you are staying so it is ready to pick up when you arrive.

Calls to Aus cost about $1 a minute.

The email address for the phone is supplied with the phone.

There is a bit of a trick to dialing international. There is a code in the phone somewhere that you need to put in as prefix to the international number. It is not as simple as dialling 0011 unfortunately. It took me about 20 minutes to find it but got it eventually.

I am going to go with this again this year because I know it will work and be hassle free.

Hey thanks for the details, its a great help to get real information!

Go-mobile seem fantastic but they say that their coverage in central hokkaido is pretty limited to the towns only.

Its our first trip, so i've decided to rent on the docomo network; however it sounds like buying a handset is going to be heaps cheaper if we keep coming back!