hi to everybody

I'm an italian skier..

crazy for skiing.

I'm in new zealand now and I gonna come in japan in december.

In canada and all over in the world everyone knows tha japponese snow.

I have a friend in yokohama and so I would like to discover a place with good slopes and good snow not far from tokyo or yokohama.

I have a limitated budget and so I was thinking to go for skiing just one day.

any suggestion will be apreciated...

have fun.... and maybe see you in japan

ciao

I haven't any idea if will be east or west of Yokohama...

Is it so big?? I mean it's make differences?

yes

maybe 2 days.. it depends of the prices.

In swiss, austria and italy you can catch a bus to an huge awesome ski field (2 or 3 hours from a big town)...

and is not expansive if you don't sleep there.

and so where can I go?

What I shouldn't miss ??

yellow snow

have you any other museum to suggest me?

from nz I pay to connect to internet and here I would've something more interesting that just check what is Shin-Yokohama.

Canada was awesome

Norway cold but very good

New Zealand easy but nice if you use icepicks, seal's skins and climb to the top before rush down

From Milano (a big town in Italy) I can suggest to everyone

don't go in the famous and nearest places, spend one hour more for the trip and go to "saas-fee" in switzerland.(but you need a car)

If you like to climb with the ski on the back you can reach the top of "monte rosa" (4500 metres) of ice.(starting form alagna reachable with a bus)

If you like big ski fields with fashion and cool people go to st. moritz (CH) o COrtina (ITA)

(buses and trains avaiable)

if you have 2 days in the north east you souldn't miss

SELLA RONDA

http://www.altabadiaski.info/pages/mp.php?getpage=skitouren&sub=1&se=e

(but is 5 hours far from milano, 3 from trento)

(you can go with a bus)

if you have 2 days in the north west you can ski near the mont blanche (courmayeur) and in march april you can start from Italy and go down in france (chamonix) in the famous vallee blanche (no slopes and be carefull it's a glatcher..usually you need a guide)

it's organized the return bus from chamonix to courmayeur and you can reach courmayeur with a bus

if you come near madonna di campiglio (where I have my house) give me a call.

it's not bad and in december we hosting the ski world cup competition

we have had winter olympic games last winter and all the world saw "sestriere" "salze d'oux"

but don't go there..trust me.

from milano and torino it's easy go to "Bormio", "S.Caterina", "madesimo" but the others place are more interesting.

"Cervinia (ITA)" and "zermatt (CH)" are connected and famous but the slopes there are easy.

it's good if you wanna take picture of the famous matterhorn but there aren't very steep and adrenalinic slope..... go there when you will have kids

and remember to drink

vin brulle, grolla, or bombardino

3 particular and very alchoolic drink served on the alps

and so it's not difficult..... give suggestions

come on guys...

I know only nagano and fujiama and I haven't time for browsing japan ski fields on the web....

give me an help please

ciao

Hi massymor, my girl and I had a place in Milano all last season. It is in a very good position to reach so much of the Alps and we went to most places you mention (although I didn't enjoy the resort at Madonna di Campiglio, sorry ;\) ). Your advice was good! I was looking for, and got, similar advice last season. However most of the people on this forum don't visit the European Alps as they mainly simply stay in Japan for the winter.

Anyway, I will try and help

Quote:
Originally posted by massymor:

I gonna come in japan in december.

I would like to discover a place with good slopes and good snow

not far from tokyo or yokohama.

I have a limitated budget and so I was thinking to go for skiing just one day.

any suggestion will be apreciated...

- Japan in December can be low on snow. You might be disappointed.

- Good slope and good snow: most Japanese resorts have bad slopes. Boring and narrow and crowded and not very steep. But they have good snow.

- not far from tokyo or yokohama, limited budget, just one day: I don't know much about Yokohama. But from Tokyo and with only one day you should take the shinkansen (bullet train) but it isn't cheap, approx 14000 yen return. The cheaper and long journey bus options to the resorts might not be operating in December - too early. Assuming you take shinkansen, the closest and easiest resort area from Tokyo is Yuzawa. There are several resorts near the train station, check here

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/maps/snow-jap...yuzawa-map.html

So Yuzawa is my suggestion for an easy one day trip from Tokyo: But....

Problems:

- you have to reach Tokyo Station from Yokohama by 8am at the latest.

- The resorts in Yuzawa, like nearly all Japan, are mostly quite boring. And going off the piste is usually banned. It is very different to Europe off-piste attitude.

Solutions:

- take 2 or 3 days

- go to Hakuba valley where the mountains are bigger, try Happo One.

- stay in a cheap place for only 2000 yen per night.

Perhaps there is an easier way from Yokohama to other resorts, I can't help with that though, sorry.

Hi Massimo,

I am originally from Briançon, on the other side of the border from Setriere. I always fly in to Milan-Malpensa when I go back home from Japan.

DB summed it all up well.

Yuzawa by train is probably your best alternative.

Tokyo to Yuzawa by Shinkansen is slightly over 1h.

Otherwise I guess you should be able to find some package with an overnight bus ride from Yokohama to Hakuba with accomodation + ticket and back I think but all in Japanese, so hope you have some friends who can help to organize. It is probaly best if you can take 2-3 days, otherwise it is gonna be tough and tiring in 1 day.

Do you usually ride on-piste or off-piste?