Hey guys.

I'd like to start by saying that yeah, I'm a noob. Forgive me if I ask something that sounds stupid but I need some suggestions.

I'm planning on making my way up to Washigatake via Takayama. I was wondering what is the best way to get from Takayama to Washigatake. Is there a bus or something? I heard there is a bus from Nagoya, but it doesn't start until after I have to be there which is 13th of December.

I'm going on a working holiday up there.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. wave.gif

This site will help you for any travel info in Japan. Just type in Takayama to Hokuno (the nearest sation listed on this site to Washigitake) I searched this and it's a cheap 3 or so hour train ride. Washigitake is a resort in an area surrounded by resorts. Never been there but it's within sight of Dynaland and Takasu Snow Park, both of which I rate pretty highly. The area gets a lot of snow and is the destination of choice for a lot of daytrippers from Kansai and Nagoya. Sweet spot for a working holiday I reckon. Have a search on the resorts page in Gifu prefecture for more info about the Takasu area resorts. No worries about being a noob mate, have fun.

Takayama is 2 hours north of Nagoya.

Washigatake sucks but has a great park. Make sure to get the Takasu weekday seasons pass if it is dumping do there. Easiest way to the resort is to take the train to Takasu then taxi up from there.

PS are you working for the resort?

Is it that bad? Looks like there are potentially good tree areas. Though probably a bit short and only if there's decent snow all the way doen the mountain. Also, may not be an option if you're working there...

Anyway, Fattwins is right about Takasu which is the best of the bunch. Patrol are not too bothered about discrete tree riding either I think. Takasu mura will become a good daytrip option from Osaka once they finally open up the road. Do you know how that's going Fattwins?

Really good snow at the second one and yah it's pretty high

Snow is pretty dry but doesn't bond well. Couple times I've been skiing in the trees and it slides/sluffs right to the ground. And a few other times I've been caughtup in little fractures.

I think it was 2000 for a half day with free onsen. That onsen was my favorite in all of Japan

Thanks for the help guys. \:\)

Davo, it's funny. The website you gave me was good but it only had trains. \:\(

I was thinking of going up via Nagoya to Takayama then going east-ish to Washigatake. The way you suggested was good except you would travel up to Takayama, down again then up again when you can take a simple bus for about 50kms from Takayama... but the question is... is there a bus? lol

I might have to ask my host family to help me out when I get there.

On top of that, the train from Mino-Ota to Hokunou is a 36 station stopping all stations train. It takes 2 hours and 15 minutes... that would be boring... and the trains are crap up that way as well! confused.gif

It sounds all anal and crap, but it would be so much better to get a train from Unuma to Takayama for only an hour and 50 minutes and only have to stop at 7 stations. ;\)

Then you can get a bus... hopefully.

Anyway, I can't wait to get up there I leave Melbourne on the 27th! lol.gif I'm gonna spend a week or so bumming around in the Kanto region then Nagoya and Inuyama in Aichi then find my way up to Takayama.

The question I would most like answered... is there any sort of bus that goes from Takayama to the Takasu region (where Washigatake and all the other cool resorts are)?

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate it. happyglass.gif

The buses from nagoya to washigatke will start running soonish. contact JTB Auz and ask them about the bus to Washigatake ski resort. I bet that solves your problem. If you go to takayama you zip 40 plus kms past the resort then double back. If you like the park and a bit of trees then youll love the area.