For anyone who is interested there is a very interesting 25 page article in the Nov issue of National Geographic that looks at the life of worlds greatest ever mountaineer.

Quite fascinating read.

Interestingly while reading it I got the impression the Reinhold and this forums own "db le spud" are quite similiar in their outlook, summed up by the segmenting their lives into 'stages'.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:

I think you should add ONE OF THE before Worlds greatest ever mountaineer
Who decides these things?
There isn't a group of judges out there tallying up scores
well actually thats what National Geographic called him too, the main headline of the article.
"Murdering the Impossible - How Reinhold Messner the worlds greatest mountaineer willed himself to shatter limits"
..."unquestionably the worlds greatest mountaineer"
" So all round yes, he does deserve the title of being the greatest mountaineer in history"

The great thing about the accolades bestowed upon him is that Reinhold himself doesnt give a toss what other people think. titles are for other people to label with, not him. I really doubt he sits at home at night thinking yep I did all that and am the greatest, he is too busy planning his next mission, he was never in it for the fame.
When asked why he didnt carry his countries flag on trips, he said "I didnt go up for a country, I went up for myself (waving a hankerchief) this is my flag, nobody is going up for somebody on Everest, you go by yourself and you handle it yourself, all this nationalistic chanting makes me angry"

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0611/feature1/
the online only has a snippet of the full story.

messener what a legend!

anybody ever hear of the death of his brother when they were climbing in the himalayas in the seventies?

the body was only recovered this year !

quite a controversial subject "did he or didnt he"

been to the guys house/ museum in sudtirol (northen italy) very intresting!

just off to buy the NG

I am going to see (hear) his presentation on October 28. Really looking forward to that. Heard him like 20 years ago for the first time and was really impressed by his personality. This guy is a phenomenon.