I`m just throwing this out there and seeing is anyone is interested...

At the end of October, i am trying to get some skiers and snowboarders together for a Yuki Matsuri. basically, it would involve hinking up Asama-Yama (from the Komoro side) to a little, run-down Jinja about 3/4 the way up the mountain, and praying for a good dump of snow this coming season. There might even be an onsen in the plans afterwards

There are a couple of reasons i wanna do this...

1) To get people who are interested in winter sports together and hang out.

2) We need the snow! The original meaning of matsuri (and the original reasons for them) were to pray for (or celebrate) some blessing from the kami. I think it would be cool to take those old ideas and infuse it with something new like snowboarding and skiing.

3) to draw the connection between the environmental changes we face and how we live. Its our fault we are having shorter and shorter seasons, and i want to daw attention to that, without having someone sit through a lecture. I want to get people to think about these things, in a fun, positive way. Especially because climate change affects our sports specifically.

I am still thinking about the details, and would like some input.

Not sure if I'd be able to make it over to this..

but thanks for organising the skatepark day, it was proper fun, and nice to meet a whole new scene of Japanese skaters.

You should make it over to Omachi park sometime before the snow comes.

The drive home didn't seem to take as long as the way there, despite sore legs.

Beers, eh? Sake is more traditional in Shinto, but maybe we can make an exception...

And AK, thanks for making it out. It was good times. Some of those guys killed it! I had a really good time, even though i hardly ate anything.

I`d like to make it over to Omachi here soon, but it would have to be an overnighter, so that i can get my onsen on.

Talk to you in the next week or two about that...

• 3 weeks later...

The Oyuki Matsuri is set for Nov 4th, a Saturday.

It will start at 9:30 am, at the trailhead by Tengu Onsen, on Aasama-yama, in Nagano (by Komoro).

If anyone is interested, or needs clearer directions o nhow to get there, just pm me.

The schedule for the event is as follows

9:30- meet at the trailhead (parking lot of Tengu Onsen)

9:45- Opening ceremonies-start hiking!

12:00- Arrive at the Asama Jinja, make or offerings to the shrine

12:30- lunch

13:30- Head back down

15:30- Arrive at parking lot, and then perhaps all head to a local onsen, and then dinner.

hope you can make it,

ben