Having a shop around this month looking at some DV cams which I wouldn`t mind useing to try and catch some footage on the slopes this year with. Quick question for those who film their adventures, do you use a water proof housing on your cam or just try and keep it dry from the snow?? Used to have a middle of the road Sony but wrecked it on a boat once just through a few accidental splashes so not sure how it would have faired out in the snow. Also thought the water proof housing may protect it a little durability wise, but does make them a bit more bulky and heavy. Anyone any reccomendations?

FQR - I have a plastic bag housing designed for underwater camcorder usage, bought it for ma Fiji surf trip. It is a high quality PVC totally water tight bag with a good quality lens. I have never used it on the slopes (never used it at all). They cost a lot and I'll sell it to you at half price if want one. It takes a whole heap of camera sizes. I personally think the thing is shit for a number of reasons, but it is cheaper than the alternative.

The alternative is a smaller $1000 plastic housing. They make your camera a lot bigger, but so does the PVC bag waterproofing option. I don't have hard shell plastic housing for my vid camera, it was just too expensive.

In the end, I agree with Snosurf. Housing just isn't worth it. In fact, video cams on the slopes are more hassle than they are worth unless it is a sunny day and you are just hanging out taking your time.

Spud's right - who wants to be filiming when the conditions are good anyway. I don't enjoy watching myself boarding all that much - i aliken it to being caught beating off: You're thinking 'yeh, this is good, i feel pretty good at the moment...now let's take a look at the footage'...'oh jesus, shut that off...man, why didn't you knock first!'

It can get scary

Kartoffel- How come the plastic zip lock bag thing you have is crap? Could you give me a bit more info (links to similar items)? Am guessing it is not as bulky so could be what I am looking for. Am going to need something for work anyway so shopping around for some kind of accessory to do the job.

Don`t mind watching myself too much as it`s a good way to see how I can improve my technique. Also a good laught with few beers after a day out in the white!