Ok this one is not so impressive, but here it is anyway. A pic of myself in sunshine village, CA. it probably around 40-45 deg. I think it was called the far-side or the wild-side. I like it except for the fact that we kept on hitting rocks hidden just beneath the surface.

SerreChe_10.jpg

:p yup shaking in my ski boots. Actually coudn't wait to get going, but had to wait for my bro to take the pic. Good thing about steep slopes is that they are usually uncrowded. clap.gif No risk of colliding with shibuya skiers!

>yep 78 degrees supposedly

nah, I don't reckon % = degrees. % is a measure of gradient, with a 100% indicating a 1 for 1 rise over run, i.e. 45 degree. 78% is a fair bit less than 45 degree and a bloody lot less than 78 degrees.

RD, if they use % in the (correct) way you suggest then 0.78*45deg= 35.1 Deg which is nothing to brag home about. Strange. They advertise as the steepest groomed slope in Austria. I think they do confuse % and Deg although 78 Deg seems crazy steep which is why I was looking for pics of the slope. Not sure what to think, slope pics I have seen do not seem that steep... Where is Sanno when we need him? He's probably been there.

Yep ur right RD, probably tough for snow to stick at 78 deg. Wonder what is the theoretical max on which snow can stick, and is skiable. Guess depends on the underlying ground structure as well. I do remember a french extreme skier did come to Japan (yes of all places) and skied a 70+deg section. Will try to dig it out.

I still wonder what this Harakiri slope is all about. Gotta write to the resort and ask them! ;\)

Just a follow up to the above image. I skied both faces on the above slope back in 96. The left side is the steepest slope I have ever seen or skied!!

In my opionion Verbier is the best resort in Europe and blows away Val Disere Tignes, 3 Vallees, Chamonix, Les Arcs. However I have not skied St Anton which I understand is in the same class as Verbier.

Must be fair to Chamonix and say that Le Grands Montets is also challenging however this is a relatively small area and is not linked to other resorts in Chamonix valley. Verbier is a series of enormous interlinked valleys that seem to be stacked on top of each other. Everywhere else seems flat by comparison!!!!!

Leroy.

I must sound like a PR person for Verbier. But if you go to Verbier (You should!!!) make sure you enrol in the Swiss Ski School as they are by far the best Ski School in the world. Before attending the Ski School in Verbier I would ski black runs with some difficulty. After attending the Verbier Ski School (4 or 5 days I think) I was able to ski the left side of the above photo (On straight 200cm skis!!!) Basically the lesson was steeps, bumps and touring/guiding but sadly no powder because they did not have any!! I think my instructors name was Eric but basically they teach extreme skiing and it was not expensive either.

Leroy.

Never been so can't comment on Verb, but I am sure it is awesome. I can comment on Chamonix, and you are right! Chamonix would undoubtedly be one of the worst places you could go if you wanted the following things in your ski holiday:

- large resorts full of facilities

- large resorts linked together

- resorts near each other

- easy transportation between resorts

- accommodation near lifts

In fact, I feel sorry for people who decide to visit Chamonix for their annual family ski resort holiday for the first time.

Chamonix is a shit place for a resort holiday.

Chamonix is a good place to visit if you have a car or are on a coach tour(As I was). The coach took us to all the different places.

The scenery is stunning and then you can do the "Vallee Blanche" ski tour down the "Mer du Glace".

Chamonix is really for more adventurous skiers/boarders and not really suited to families or groups of mixed abilities.

Oh my, awsome pictures LB, thank you! Welcome to the forum. That steep wall makes me drool looking at the pic! I would love to ski down those 2 sections especially the left one, steep and long. I heard Verbier is awsome. I also heard a lot of good things on St Anton. Some very good european snowboarders I know who have been to both seem to prefer St Anton (I can't remember why though). Doug Coombs (RIP)had one of his steep skiing camps in Verbier. 200cm straight skis?! I thought my bro was the only one left on earth using those. lol.gif

Cham rules for hard-core shredders like Spud, but not a family style mixed abs resort for sure.

When are we gonna get those inbound steeps in Japan?

Keep 'em coming pictures. thumbsup.gif