Date: June 24/25

People: Dan, Jer and Toque

Vertical hiked: June 24 - 1800 meters

Vertical hiked: June 25 - 800-1300 meters

Vertical skied: June 24 - 1800 meters

Vertical skied: June 25 - 1500-2000 meters

Total skied 3000 plus/minus

What a trip

Dan, Jer and I skied an amazing couloir on Tsurugi. We hiked into Tsurugizawa and left our tents before skiing all the way down the valley to the beginning of our couloir at 2000 meters. We hiked up to the top of it at 2850. At the top it was about 40 degrees. Hazards were huge moats and very large rolling rocks.

After the ski we hiked/skinned back to camp 500 meters above making for a very good day of 1800 meters skied and climbed.

I'll let the pictures do the rest

Toque, Dan and Jer with Tsurugi behind. We skied just the speck of snow you can see in the next picture

toque_336.jpg

The very top section of our run

toque_335.jpg

Dan topping out in our couloir. We hiked from the very bottom starting at 2000 meters and getting up to 2850 meters between to bumps on the jagged ridge leading up to Tsurugi's summit

toque_321.jpg

Dan scrambled up one of our little bumps but beyond where he went would have have been difficult

toque_325.jpg

Jer and I resting at 2850 meters. The top of our run.

toque_329.jpg

Dan

toque_326.jpg

Jer

toque_331.jpg

Toque

toque_333.jpg

Day 2

We skied back to Murodo down the same skiing run from 2 weeks before. Just a little skinnier with wider moats

Notice that Jer has 2 hiking boots attached to his backpack

toque_332.jpg

It's hard to tell but now Jer only has 1 hiking boot attached to his bag

toque_330.jpg

From where this picture is taken Jer realized he had lost a hiking boot

toque_328.jpg

So they both hiked all the way back up to find it thumbsup.gif

Which they did while vedged and had a nap

toque_327.jpg

Dan and I have always talked about skiing out the Murodo plain to the trolly. We were too late in the season to do that but we were able to ski quite a ways to around 1800 meters.

We sent Jer down the mountain with a massive backpack filled with overnight gear for 3 and then went on our way

We only had to get around a few bushy section. It was a great experience find our way around as the clouds moved in and out

Toque

toque_320.jpg

Dan

toque_323.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
you got out murodo how was the ski?
It was fun
We couldn't ski to the trolly-train though. Maybe a month earlier. But we skied quite a ways. Mostly traversing with a few turns here and there. Next time the weather is poor and you are up there you should do it. Good for practicing your route finding and orienteering

agree with montoya's sentiments

(but still not sure about the tent looking thing. Is that an arch?? It sure look slike a man made object)

As for this pic, its amazing how much snow there is at the tree line. Perhaps not deep(?) but a lot of coverage.

toque_322.jpg

That's at about 2000 meters I think

The Murodo Plateau is the first thing that the big weather systems hit when they come in from the Japan Sea.

Like Hakusan to the west the weather systems are thrust up and over these big mountains dropping huge amounts of snow

So much snow for 2000m flat ground (ie, not much shadow, like in gullies and chutes etc). And for late June!

Anyone know what they do with the ground when it isn't covered in snow?

And like one of those 3d magic images, I can now se the arch as clear as... and arch. But I had to change my focus and then reality became clear. It really played a trick on my eye.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
Anyone know what they do with the ground when it isn't covered in snow?

And like one of those 3d magic images, I can now se the arch as clear as... and arch. But I had to change my focus and then reality became clear. It really played a trick on my eye.
Same thing as they do when it is covered with snow. Take a load of pictures and say sugoi over and over and over and over and over and over and over etc.

I still can't pick out where you guys see a tent