I was just reading this thread

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/6631.html?

which started talking about rentals and standards of rentals, someone mentioning a rental being as smelly as something that is very smelly.

Surely there are standards that they have to keep to? Or can they just rent out any old shit?

When I first started I rented some gear. The first time it really sucked. It even looked fairly old, but I wasn't to know much about it all. It was only when I bought my own that I really noticed a difference.

I'd say if you were planning on using it more than 4 or 5 times in a few years, you should definitely buy and not waste money on rentals.

Renting ski/board gear really seems such a waste to me. One guy I know went on a 4 day trip and with all the gear and wear and everything ended up spending close to 30,000 yen. When you think you come away with nothing at the end it seems a bit silly, especially when he plans to go more and be here a few years.

When I came here I started on rentals (still deciding what to get) and quickly realised that it made sense to buy - the skis they tried to give me at first were just in terrible conditions, I thought they were joking at first. I found another place, a bit more expensive but at least recent skis.