this is my first winter in japan - i live in miyagi but've gone riding in hokkaido and iwate too. been the last 6 weekends in a row (most i've ever gone in one season) but can't do the weekday thing...

and yeah, as far as i'm concerned i'm glad i can drive to snow like that as opposed to having to deal with it day-to-day.

I hit Gassan every May or June as a desparete, last effort to keep the season going. Onikobe is a bit of a drive but I do go there every now and then. But hey, I'm a city slicker \:D

i went to onikobe with some teachers last weekend and i liked it. super icy on one side though. all the snow had been blown over to one side of the hill, but it was good considering the heinous weather lately. i`d like to check it out after a fresh snow.

that`s crazy you can ride at Gassan until june! i might have to try it this year just for the novelty.

soubriquet - where are you? you in miyagi? im not in sendai; in onagawa, which is about as far away from onikobe as you can get.

Oishida is near Obanazawa, in northern Yamagata. If you'd have gone straight on at Naruko instead of turning north and crossing the river for Onikobe, you could have dropped in for tea and cake.

I love the ria coastline at Onagawa, it's lovely in summer.

Would that be one of the cabins on the way in, Kintaro? Before the geyser and the sake factory? It's all really nice country around there.

mmmmmmmmmm.....tea and cake. yeah, onagawa is beautiful in the summer. and i'm a fish, so i'm happy as a clam (!) in the summer. apparently there's some good surf here too (not a surfer, just a wannabe, but will try this summer) where the river comes out. and another secret place...there's also natsuhama, the beach with the famous squeaking sand. gonna go camping there in may sometime i think.

you're lucky to be so close to onikobe though, even if you don't get the coastline.

mmmmmmmmmm.....tea and cake. yeah, onagawa is beautiful in the summer. and i'm a fish, so i'm happy as a clam (!) in the summer. apparently there's some good surf here too (not a surfer, just a wannabe, but will try this summer) where the river comes out. and another secret place...there's also natsuhama, the beach with the famous squeaking sand. gonna go camping there in may sometime i think.

you're lucky to be so close to onikobe though, even if you don't get the coastline.