Hey everyone,

I have been planning on getting the bus from Shinjuku to Hakuba and return this Feb and recently realised on the top-left of the website it says 'reservation'.

I tried asking if I could e-mail my reservation but like they website said, they told me to call the Keio Telephone Reservation Center. I did this but of course the service is in Nihongo!

Is it a must to reserve seats in advance? ( I can do it in person 3 days before catching the bus, is this plenty of time?)

If it's necessary should I ask someone who speaks Japanese to do this for me?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I try not to make question threads but i'm stuck. Thanks thumbsup.gif

If you are there 3 days in advance then you should be able to reserve it no probs at all. I think in most cases, as long as they have tickets, you can still reserve a ticket right up until the bus leaves. If you know someone who can speak Nihongo then that might be better, but shouldn't be a problem otherwise.

Hiya fb_steve,

I assume you are using this site https://www.highwaybus.com/ for your booking. If you click on the first "blue bus" then you can select a route and date for your travel and see what tickets are available.

get someone with at least basic nihongo to help but you can book the tickets online and then use the atm lookalike machines at a lawson or familymart to pay the cash.

Be aware that Feb is the most popular ski-time for the locals so the buses back on the sunday from Hakuba might fill up quicker than the buses to hakuba.

hope that helps (at least a little)

Thanks to both of you for the quick help!

ugly - I didn't realise it was possible to reserve online thanks for pointing that out. Could I just get someone who speaks Nihongo to book the tickets for me under my name? And then pay in cash when i pick them up? Or do i need to give credit card details or pay when booking online?

Thanks!

Should be possible to pay on the bus as long as you have a reservation. But some companies do require a payment beforehand. They may take credit card, so if your nihongo speaking friend uses your credit card number then you could possibly do it that way.

Whichever their policy is, they will tell your friend when they make the call. Otherwise the online booking might prompt you as to what to do...

Thanks BP, sounds like a plan.

If anyone has the time and can speak Nihongo could the check the site out for me please, cause if you're able to reserve simply by entering your details and pay on arrival I'll do that.

Cheers \:\)

OK, here is what I figured out from that site.

1. It's gonna be a royal pain in the arse for you to use that to register and book if you can't read Japanese. If your friend has reasonable understanding of Japanese, or is Japanese, then they can help you register, track down the bus you want, and book it. Otherwise, wait till you get here. I had to register and go thru the whole process to see what would happen payment-wise.

2. Payment can be made at a convenience store, as ugly mentioned, or at the office/window of the bus company, or on the bus.

3. Reservations are necessary, but the site does say that if seats are available then you can still get on the bus right up ubtil it departs. It also follows this with a warning that some buses get full.

So, my advice is to get someone with good Nihongo to do it for you, or just wait till you come. There are a number of buses each day so chances are good that they won't all be full.

I just PMd you about booking

Thanks Mike thumbsup.gif

Instead of making another thread I've got a quick question regarding the Keisei Limited Express from Narita to Ueno(1,000Y). I arrive at Narita at 7pm so assuming 90 minutes in customs there's about 5 more trains at 30 minute intervals to Ueno. Should I definitly reserve my seats? Do these trains get very packed? The info on the site is rather confusing, heaps of red tape about when you can reserve/claim them, and is also in reference to the Skyliner, not the "Other Line" which I intend on getting. Any advice would be great thanks.

Cheers,

Steve

I don't remember too well cos it's been quite a while since I flew into Narita, but I think you won't have any problem getting a seat without a reservation. They might require reservations (I dunno), but even if they do, they would most likely sell tickets there right up until departure. I don't reckon you need to worry. Anyone else know a bit more specifically??

It's just a regular train, if it's that full they'll pack you on like sardines, but I seriously doubt that will be the case, not at that time of the nite. I couldn't see you NOT getting on the train... Skyliner is much more comfy for the little bit extra but if you're on a tight budget the regular express will work just fine.