I was thinking at Kagura (in the rain) at the weekend some resorts seem to have a decent lift system that is well planned (and fast) while some seem to have been totally unplanned (or planned?!) to make you frustrated with silly layout and unbearably slow lifts all over the place.

So I thought I'd open a new thread.

Which resorts get your vote for a GOOD lift system and which get your votes for having a BAD system (for whatever reason, of course).

Just went to Ryuo in northern Nagano in the rain on Saturday. The gondola was shut down for much of the day, apparently due to strong winds but we just suspected that management didn't want to pay for the gondola bills on a day with not enough customers (though the available slopes were congested, especially with schools). The major problem with the gondola closure was that the top half of the mountain became completely inaccessible.

So, on this small-medium sized resort we were stuck on the crappy bottom half of the mountain with all the beginners and schools. Luckily there was a big wall/quarter pipe and a fun little kicker so we still had fun in the rain. But still, being cut off from the top half of the mountain because a non-operating gondola being the only access to there, sucks.

Quote:
The gondola was shut down for much of the day, apparently due to strong winds but we just suspected that management didn't want to pay for the gondola bills on a day with not enough customers
number9, I am almost certainly think that is not the case. It was very windy up top on Saturday.

In the case of Ryuo them not running the ropeway cuts off the best part of the resort and a sizeable chunk. Many people will not have gone there because of that. They will be very much wanting for that to be operating on a weekend.

So, does the connection between Gala, Yuzaka Kogen, and Ishiuchi count as a bad lift system? Because it doesn't open until late, and is often closed (especially this season).

I heard that Ishiuchi itself can get divided into two smaller resorts, the main gelande and the Hatsukaseki (or is it Hatsukaishi) gelande when the lifts at the top of the resort close down. That sucks.

It's bad if you think its bad (for you).

About Ishiuchi - yes it can but it's not a secret.

Look at Kagura. If you park at Tashiro, you know you have to be back there by the times the lifts close..... signs tell you these things.

Was in Tanbara Snow Park last week. Great snow as long as you stay on the upper half of the mountain. The lower half has a slow-as double which is so slow, I swear that I could skate uphill faster.

Kashimayari (Sunalpina) had fast lifts. Never waited. One of the best I have been to.

Quote:
I swear that I could skate uphill faster
Try it! ;\)

Hokkaido is famous for having lots of local resorts with slow lifts. (We're not talking the Nisekos, Rusutsus here, etc). The less said about them the better.