Aloha from hawaii,

Great site! After some browsing I have decided that I would like to go to Hakuba for a couple of days in end of Jan. I will be coming from Narita Airport so my understanding is that I take the Nartia Express to Tokyo Station, then the train to Nagano, and then a bus to Hakuba. web page

Is this the quickest way using public transportation to get to Hakuba? Also, how long of a trip would you guestimate it is from Narita-4.5 hrs or so?

Finally, I am a bit confused on getting the tickets in Tokyo station to Nagano. Do i simply go to the ticket counter and get it on spot or do I have to pre-book? Also, for the bus to Hakuba from Nagano can I get a ticket at the station or do I have to pre-book.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

Narita Express: Narita Airport to Shinjuku

Azusa: Shinjuku to Hakuba

5hrs 50mins, 10,970yen

Narita Express to Tokyo is an hour

Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagano 1hr 45

Local trains from Nagano to Hakuba 1hr 5 mins

Probably 4 and a half to 5 hours or more depending on connections 11,740yen

I just checked and couldn't find any good connections using the Narita Express & Shinkansen. Most of the options were over 5 hours. The route with just one change at Shinjuku looks simpler.

You can just buy tickets on the spot but safer to reserve if possible cos you will have more time at the transfer to find the platform (Tokyo & Shinjuku stations are huge so it could be up to a 15-20 min walk between trains). Depending on the train & your travel dates some trains have to be reserved cos they fill up pretty quickly.

Can you post your exact arrival date & time?

Me Jane,

Many thanks. I am planning on getting into Narita on Jan 26th around 2 p.m. (still have to finalize flight).

BTW, what is "Shinkansen"...is it Japanese for Train? (i.e. Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagano 1hr 45).

ALso, how does one reserve train tickets??

Many thanks.

bit late but i wouldn`t reccomend using the Narita Express, its over priced. Just take the Keisei line to Nippori or Ueno anmd change. Or if you really want to go non stop to Ueno then Keisei SkyLiner. All are from the airport. Limited express Keisei takes only about 10 mins longer than the Narita Express and Skyliner to Ueno.

There are no more "Azusa" trains from Shinjuku Station at that time. You could stay over in Shinjuku then and get the early morning one at 7:30am

or go with the following:

15:13 Narita to Tokyo (Narita Express, 1hr)

17:28 Tokyo to Nagano (Asama 525 Shinkansen 1hr 41)

*There is a 16:28 but I doubt you'd make it.

20:30 Nagano to Hakuba (Bus from outside the station 1hr 5 mins)

*This is the last bus. I think you will be too late to get a train to Hakuba at that time.

Personally I'd go with Narita Express to Shinjuku, spending the night in Shinjuku and taking the early morning train to Hakuba.

That would be

15:13 (or 16:14, 16:29) Narita Express to Shinjuku on the 26th then,

7:30 leave Shinjuku on the 27th (Azusa No.3 8,070yen)

Arrive Hakuba 11:24 on the 27th

If you did that you wouldn't need to worry about booking - just buy the Narita Express Ticket when you arrive at Narita. Then after you get to Shinjuku you can book the ticket for the next morning.

There are hotel & resort shuttle buses from Hakuba Station to wherever you are going so you can sort that out directly with your hotel.

Thanks. Sounds like kind of a mission to go to Hakuba. Should be intersting considering I dont speak a lick of Japanese.

Any other recommendations on where to go that would be easy for a clueless Hawaiian such as myslef to get to from Narita?

Oh yeh, in case your intersted the waves in Hawaii have been FIRING!! See link below.

http://www.surfnewsnetworkmedia.com/index.php

For someone first time in Japan, I wouldn't recommend taking the Keisei line from Narita because some of those trains do go to Ueno, but many others take you to the nether reaches of Kanagawa. Just too confusing and risky.

The bus from Nagano station to Hakuba seems to require reading Japanese as well.

Safest and easiest bet is Narita Express to Shinjuku, then Azusa to Hakuba. But Azusa doesn't run that late eh. Conundrum..

_If_ he's catching the Shinkansen from Ueno to Nagano (then the bus/train to Hakuba), then the Keisei Liner from Narita to Ueno is ideal.

But if he's taking the Azusa from Shinjuku to Hakuba, then I'd still recommend the Narita Express as it takes you directly to Shinjuku.

Lugging huge bags (especially a board) around the Tokyo public transit system is something you want to minimize. And it would be good to minimize the number of transfers (and possibilities of getting lost).

Hawaii50

Try Jordan for transportation search

Shinkansen = 'New main route' if I dare translate as it is described. Because usually where a shinkansen is built, usually an old main route exists. Any kind of trains e.g. locals, expresses, freight trains and night trains are in service at an old main route but at a shinkansen, only super limited express trains are in service.

;\)

flyingchikcen, your are right.

e.g.

Date: 2006.JAN.14(Sat)

JR Tran: One-way 8,070 yen

10:00 Lv.Shinjyuku - 13:44 Ar. Hakuba

Higway Bus: One-way 4,700 yen

09:00 Lv.Shinjyuku - 13:30 Ar. Hakuba(Happo)

Why do you want to pay 6,740 yen a round for savig each one-way 46 minitues ?

Note: Basically, you can not carry a big stuff with bus trip. No bike, no skis, no snowboard. In this case, you need additional charge of "Takuhai-Bin"(parcel carrier) between your home and an inn. - apx.4,000 yen a round?.

People who prefer to train would be;

- Access to Shinjyuku is not good.

- Bus seat is less uncomfortable.

- Takuhai-Bin is required (the cost is almost same).

* Reservation is required by Japanese language.

* No English guidance/signs during bus trips.

- Love train trips.

- Be scared of a car accident.

- Don't know Highwaybus.

* difficulty to non-Japanese speaking people.

Are you sure you can't bring a snowboard on the bus? Seems like a silly arrangement for a bus service to one of the prime ski locations in japan!

I'll be making my way from Tokyo Narita to Hakuba on the 15th, around noonish, after getting in on a flight from HK. After much research, the bus seems to work best for me.

Seems like I have to get this board issue sorted. Anyone have anymore info??

Much appreciated.

you can bring boards on the bus (well not ON the bus, but stashed below) ive taken the overnight bus from shinjuku several times with my board. and im never the only one. boards, golf clubs, skiis etc

i DO know however that they are really anal about taking oversized luggage such as surfboards, skis, snowboards on the airport express buses. but ive never had a problem taking stuff on the highway express between shinjuku and hakuba goryu.

The Keio Highway Bus term says:

A Passenger can carry one moderate size suit case.

Once I asked a driver about this term. He answered that they would carry additional oversize luggages as far as the bus trunk space was available. He can refuse to load passengers' oversize luggages when the space gets full. Mostly, they have enough space from Monday night to Thursday night except Y/E&Y/B and OBON seasons.

Note that JR Highway buses for Osaka have less trunk space, so you can never carry your bike. Probably they refuse to load skis or snowboards.

I had an experience to carry my bike with me on a long distance bus for Toyama.

You had many chances to carry your bike, skis, and snowboard on long-distance buses, I konw. But, they were "exceptional" in strict meaning.

Mostly, the drivers allow you to load a skinny oversize luggage like a skis or a snowboad on their bus. But, there is a little risk that they refuse it.

Of course, you can carry your skis or snowboards on "snow" long-distance buses. Long distance buses for snow resort regions might change their terms in winter season...

Once, I asked them to commit to carry my bike with an additional charge. The answer was "No".

flyingchicken,

Jan.15 is in low season, and has less passengers to Hakuba. I believe you will be OK to carry your oversize stuff with you on the bus as far as you declare "I just come to Japan from oversea for enjoying snowing." We welcome sightseeing tourists from oveasea!!

I sent you a PM. Please open it.

Hawaii50

Sorry, a little late to the game (I just signed up here yesterday!), but here's my two cents, if it means anything.

I've used the Keisei Skyliner, JR Narita Express, and whichever company (orange) "Limousine Bus" between Narita and various parts of metropolitan Tokyo. JR Narita Express is by and far the most painless and "English friendly". The carriages are comfortable and there's ample space to stack your luggage. If you're getting a JR rail pass, it's a no-brainer: Go JR. It's been a few years since I last used the Keisei Skyliner, but I got the impression that although cheaper than the JR Narita Express, it was slower, had less luggage space, and the particular train I was on sort-of smelled funny... The Limousine Bus service was by and far the cheapest, but if you're under any time restriction (like making a connection to the last train to somewhere), beware - I've been stuck on the bus on the expressway for hours because of traffic. This is particularly an issue at evening rush-hour or on weekends. I've never had a problem with my one roller suitcase and heavy boardbag on the Limousine Bus. Keep the luggage in mind too if you're going by train, since you will probably be making a transfer at some of the busiest stations in Japan, and since you are from Hawaii (like me!), the crowds, even during a "slow" period, may come as a bit of a shock.

I'm doing NRT -> Nozawa on the 13th and Tokyo -> Somewhere else on the 26th or 27th...

I used Jordan for Nagano -> Nozawa and it gave me:

On board for 263 minutes (Traveling for 323 minutes)

One-way fare:14,130 yen Distance:494.7 km

Which seems like a lot of money and a long trip!