i think its good i can't find anything in english about real estate in hakuba! it meants it hasnt been sold out to westerners yet. basically im really interested in land prices, considering how much proprty has inflated recently in niseko, i wonder if the same has will happen (or is happening) in hakuba. it would be my dream to have my first house near a japanese resort :p

sorry guys i got info but I dont want anyone touching my property till its in my back pocket.

too be honest guys its alot of work to find good places. does the road get cleared? does it have good run-off? what are the taxes? how big of a house can you build on the land?

i can tell you this prices for just land are running 4000000 to 15000000 yen. and there is alot of it.

I can do the re-search for you guys or even help you buy a place but... I gotta make money to do it. 3% of the total cost to do it sorry guys but its a hassle.

fair enough, don't have to worry about me stealing property ive still got to save from scratch just to visit hakuba for 10 days :p

are there any real estate companies that do hakuba though? i just want to see what properties look like, and what the average prices are for various properties

cheers

How to remove snow - this is the biggest problem when you live in here.

Very big ground preferable because of snow. If the ground were too small, you can not put removed snow anywhere if all the side is surrounded by other houses. It must be too hard to remove snow and you'll have some troubles with your neighbors.

If public snow remover is not available even for the road next to your house, you are to remove all the snow you get!

Montoya, some trails are available around ski slopes if you mean downhill tracks. But I usually just ride around wherever I want to try. Usually I try the uphill to the lake Aoki which is approxmately 7-8 kms apart from my house and 100 meters different in height. The first 3 or 4kms is almost flat but the rest is a long uphill which is like 25 meters per mil uphill in average. Good for your exercise. Then just ride around the lake where a lot of trees are around.

Gamera

Montoya means offroad cycling trails. In Hakuba, there are several unused trails that get used for biking. The valley is narrow, so they are short, steep and very technical. I won't give examples since biking is probably officially offlimits on them.

From what I can gather, there are much better areas for mountainbiking around Matsumoto or in South Nagano (e.g., Chino). The Karuizawa region has also seen a huge fall in real estate prices and is only one hour from Tokyo. Some people there even commute on the Shink every day.

I think the bessochi are old commercial forests used for charcoal before it became cheaper to import. The land there is the cheapest in town, though the closer you get to the mountain, the darker it will be in the afternoon since the mountains are to the west. You generally don't get a view of the mountains, but there are other advantages. No main roads, no daily chimes, no residents' association having you sweep the road at 5am, no pockets of graves, .... Some of the houses in the Meitetsu bessochi have very attractive gardens.

Daily chimes eh? Have you got 'em where you are? They drive me nuts when I go to my muvver-in-law's place.

If I lived in a place that had those, I'd start a campaign against them, and say snide things about yokels maybe getting wristwatches for the 21st century. I'd also read the noise pollution statutes carefully. If that didn't work, I'd use bolt cutters.

The past year, about 3 non-J friends here in Tokyo have taken the plunge and purchased manshions in Tokyo. While looking at the real-estate in Hakuba or other similar rural areas, seems like you could get essentially 10x the size for the same price they paid. However, I always seem to come back to the same problem, which is how to earn a living in the countryside. Either you open up your English school, offer some sort of outdoors-related service, compete with local industries (penshion, farming, etc), commute to the local big city, or am able to work off-site on projects (programming, translating, etc).

In that sense, Gamera's story is really quite inspiring. Hope things work out for you Fattwins, I'll be rooting for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
just curious, is there good mountain biking at Hakuba? mostly singletrack, or fireroads?
a few years ago I went on solo mission to Hakuba, I went exploring but didnt find anything that flash.
Iwatake has/had a downhill course, that used to be accessed by the Gondola. When I went the gondola wasnt running and the trail was in bad condition but none the less I rode up the downhill trail, then bombed it down.
Found lots of short tracks, a few short fire trails, a few shingle roads. There must be more there if you are in the know.