Anyone here ever taken a board or ski lesson at a Japanese resort?

Well? I'm curious to know what it was like. I wouldn't mind improving myself, but don't know if it would be worth it. Maybe I should just get ojouzu buddies.

Rach - I had a couple of lessons at a resort near Nozawa when I was first starting out boarding - all in Japanese with some really funky and obviously talented J-guys.

The main problems I had with the lessons were:

-we spent the first 40 minutes of a 2 hr lesson stretching and warming up

-we spent the next 40 mins learning how to skate on the flat (which when you are boarding is a pain in the butt and is a good technique to now, but the instructors would have been better to tell us that, as beginners, we should just take off the board and walk)

- for the rest of the lesson we walked up a slight slope and then practised standing up on the board.

The reason I was frustrated was that the lessons didn't start until 10-30am, which meant that I had already spent about 2 hours doing all these things on my own and had pretty much figured it all out for myself. So it was a complete waste of time, essentially. Although the bonus was getting to wear a brightly coloured bib so that they knew we were part of their class!

Having said all that, the Japanese language side of things was very manageable, and these guys went out of their way to ensure that I understood.

I gave up at lesson 2, spent the rest of the season with other riders copying them and basically teaching myself, and after 2 seasons boarding here in Japan, I went to Canada and rode with a private instructor for 3 days. I got so much more out of that than I would have ever done pursuing lessons here in Nihon.

To pickp where Scouser left off, yeah, I don't care about being technically correct and would rather enjoy myself. But, as a result of the instruction, my technique improved markedly and I was really able to notice a huge difference in my carving and riding ability, to the point where I am a far better rider now than I would have been but for the lessons.

It has to be said Rach, that ojouzu friends is the key. They really push you and make you learn. And they cost a lot less than lessons!!

Well rach, it's pretty much like I said - they give you ski poles. So you see learners getting about on snowboards with two skipoles each. That way, they don't learn to balance, they don't learn to get up without leaning on their skipoles, and they have a harder time than necessary getting on and off the lift. (I've never had lessons anywhere, I just observed this for myself). Also like belle says, they spend hours practising the stuff you can do yourself. But they hate snowboarders at Echo Valley anyway, and it's all just an evil plot to disable them.

Let's not forget though, that the ojozu friends can be a proper pain in the arse too, telling you to push yourself when you already are knocking yourself out, and suggesting you go down insanely steep slopes that WILL kill you.

[This message has been edited by Ocean11 (edited 29 May 2002).]

Yeah, I have taken lessons at Iwappara this season when I first started to board. They would start off with how to carry, place and put on the board, then how to get off the lift, and some very basic bording tecniniques. I found the instructors competent and very very friendly.

After I have ridden a few more days, then I took another lesson at Sheesa's riding camp in Niseko. They were very good at teaching ungroomed tracks. My 2 Yen.

I just look at the charges and gasp. Something like 25,000 yen for a private lesson. I know you can take group ones, but are they really worth it?