Konnichwa, Japan dudes.

Checking this place out from the US. Japan looks kinda interesting and I'm really into extreme sports, the more extreme the better. I'm wondering whether a trip over to Japan for a week or two next winter to check out the snowboarding scene over there would be worth it or not, and would SATISFY my extreme needs.

I'm really tempted, just kinda need a bit of advice.

Cheers

mort

If you're in the US, splashing out on a cat or heli tour in the US or British Columbia will give you more extreme bang for your buck. The lack of (lift-accessed) advanced terrain in Japan is often lamented on this forum. What few cat and heli operations there are in Japan look more like novelties than passports to extreme terrain.

Mort whatever gave you the idea that you could get "extreme" in Japan?

The only thing extreme in this country is the number of corporate scandals and deceipt of consumer by these same corporations!

Like NoFakie says take your money and go elsewhere.

Don't make your reason for coming here the search for extreme. Make it something else and do this on the side. You won't be majorly disappointed that way.

I am of the same opinion with NoFakie and Mogski. Yes there are some extreme places, but those have horrible access and need a guide. BC, Teton and SW Colorado have much better terrain for your extreme appetite.

SATISFY my extreme needs

Mmmmm ... I hear there are places in Osaka that cater to that sort of thing.

mort, I'm interested in what it is you're looking for. What constitutes 'extreme', and why do you like it?

Well cheers Japan dudes for the feedback. It seems that Japan is way 2 non-Xtreem for me then. But I really want to check out the Japan land, it's not JUST about the pow.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should come anyway, mort, just for the experience. It's not just about the most extreme you know - and I'm sure "Japan" will be different from anything you know. Sure it'll be worth it.