Been here for two weeks, from what i hear the skiing doesn't get started until december which means I can get a few days in before going back to the states to do some real skiing. I'm not hauling all my gear out, so is it possible to rent some shitty equipment or something? Where is the best snow? I am near Kyoto, I hardly speak any Japanese. How much would it be to travel to like Nagano or hokaido (or for that reason, wherever the dopest skiing is in this country)? I would be cool to ski something on par with tahoe or colorado but anything will do because I'm friggin desperate. I also want to get out of this damn city see some mtns. Any help much appreciated.

Recommend getting yourself up to the Hakuba Valley in Nagano this fall. You can take the train there. As for the skiing - is it going to be like Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows - No. But it isn't too bad either. You can expect to rent decent equipment for Y3000 or so and tickets to be Y4600/day. So not too bad. From Kyoto I am guessing it would be a 4+ hr car ride. Not exactly sure though. I highly recommend a trip to the Japan Alps though - they are fantastic.

Beer baron,

I live in Hakuba and think it's approximately 10,000 yen and a bit more for one way to come here from Kyoto boarding on a Shinkansen from Kyoto and Shinano limited express from Nagoya.

At the top december sometimes we have enough snow and sometimes less than supposed. Guess perhaps you can hit upper ski slopes at Goryu,47 and Happo then.

Good luck