Nope, never tried it, but every time we drive past the skijumps on the way to Nozawa, one of my mates always says he wants to try it on a snowboard, and talk then turns automatically to some snowboarders who are said to have died attempting it.

Yawn...

I did hear last year that someone did it once in Hakuba on a snowboard. You'd have to be a shit hot rider and kind of insane to try. I think the guy got arrested-does anyone here know the story?

If you're on a snowboard, I'd do it after a dump (both kinds!) because the last thing you'd want is to catch an edge on the two ruts ski jumpers use.

The skier guys only go for 100m plus because they're going very fast and the landing falls away sharply to soften the impact. They're not going all that high, so a boarder who doesn't get up the same amount of speed (no icy ruts to use etc) and who has poor aerodynamic form wouldn't fly much further than the pros do off the BC kickers you see in videos. Some pro kickers look much higher than the jump part of a ski jump and/or are boosted by cliff drops. Controlling speed/nerves on such a narrow approach would be the big problem.

Not that I recommend anyone try this, of course.

Boarders with a serious death wish should go off an Olympic-sized freestyle aerials jump. Those guys go much higher than ski jumpers.

Yeah, and if you do try it, remember to remove the little chain that's strung across the end of the jump before you start...

Sing along now, to the tune of John Brown's Body - "He landed on the runway like a blob of strawberry jam, Yes he landed..."

I've had a go on a small hill about 10 years ago. We had to go through a couple of days course beginning on small jumps and learning how to fall. Eventually I had a go on a relatively small hill. Amazing feeling, I'd love to do it again.

Maybe some of you guys coming to Niseko this year would like to try it at Ohkurayama or Miyanomori jumps here in Sapporo... I could check out the regulations / security ??...

Anyone want to be **REALLY** famous? ~ or is that infamous??