I wondering if there where any good passes/areas with in 2-4 hours of Tokyo that would have some good back country. Also if anyone would happen to have any other sources of information I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Oddis,

Great question - as for the answer I am probably not the best one to give you the best direction but I will try. As for the Japan Alps - the backcountry potential is endless. The only problem is getting to the terrain. Expect a 4hr ride to get up to the Alps from Tokyo. As for midwinter backcountry I'm not sure but I did a few trips in the late spring - early June. Last year was my first in Japan. One way to access some cool terrain is to take the Karobe Alpine Route up to the Marudo Plateau. I think it opens in late April and will drop you off at 7500' in the heart of the Alps. Kind of costly but the terrain is excellent. I was up there in early June and there was still plenty of skiing to be had. I'm more of a spring skiing backcoutry person but interested in hearing what people have to say for the winter. The powder is endless up here - you just have to get to it....

The great thing about backcountry Japan Alps is the huge amount of snow. Here lies the problem. Dec~feb/March the snow is so soft and deep, and the mountains so steep and remote that access can be difficult, not to mention dangerous. The huge snowfalls coupled with rapidly changing weather conditions make for mountains determined to bury you.

That aside, assuming you love to slog and are familiar with maritime avalanche conditions, here are a few suggestions:

Hakuba valley, head up to Shirouma Dake and the areas behind it. If you have a few days, there are some cool hot springs you can get to. Avalanche risk extreme.

Myoko Kogen area has some trails. Not as steep, but safer.

Norikura Kogen, from the resort up to the peak (Norikura Dake ~3000 m). Can take a chairlft partway up, poss. in a day using the lift. Avalanche risk not so high.

Pretty much anywhere else! Other places further from Tokyo include Tateyama (mentioned by teleskier), hakusan in Ishikawa, both get A LOT OF snow.

Oh, nearly forgot, Kamikochi valley. Loads to ride around there, a volcano, 3rd/4th highest peaks, Yarigatake's a great looker. Long trek to get to them, however. Early or late season, take a bike for the trip into the valley from the gate/roadhead. Oh, and extremely avalanche prone. Yari seems to demand a sacrifice on a yearly basis (usually only takes the experienced ones, though. hmmm...)

Hope that helps. If you've got the area names, you can go to most big book stores and hassle the help to find you the maps you need. Japan has a pretty good range of maps covering the mountain regions.

For anyone in the Nagaoya Kanasai area Last year Norikura kogen sold their seasons pass for 20000 yen. Great tree sking, but we saw an old avalanche in the trees. Slid to ground about 500 to 700 feet down. (bubble quad left side 2 dangerous rollovers that can break in the trees, do not cut on top of it. its hard to see but with last years avie it should break easier this year as the trees were taken out.) hike back from the bubble go right or left drop down good stuff, small sideways or down hill traverse. top lift hike up to hit the peaks around the area. about 10 or more people tour on the weekends up there.

hotels between 5000 to 6000 yen a night. Great onsens no night life at all.

Thanks for the information guys.... So the next question is there a small population of people who can and have proper knowledge/equipment to go out in thses situations? It seems to me like japan has an obundance of quality backcountry that the local population is not interested in riding... So as forigners do have anything going? People or clubs to contact...