The stock in trade of snowboard sites everywhere - the question of bindings.

I'm almost determined to get Switch boots and bindings this year (in England, for a good price, as Japan is too proud of its rapidly disappearing little feet to take my money). But before I commit to this course, I'm interested to see how many people use step-ins.

This poll-making business is actually quite hard and you have to think about a lot in advance before you start making it. Honest answers would be appreciated! Thanks.

I have used the K2 Clicker bindings and boots before and i have to say that i felt a real lack of ankle support when compared to your traditional soft bindings and the hybrid Flow bindings. This lack of support is really only noticable when you are riding hard however. When taking it easy it is not too much of an issue in my experience.

As you may or may not have read in the other thread, I am currently using Flow bindings and boots and love 'em!

Cheers

Drew

Thanks for the info on Flow and Clickers. I've never seen Flow on sale in this area, although I've seen a few people using them.

No pressure points with Flow bindings? I'm tired of cold toes from ratcheting my toe straps down tight...

I don't actually sit around in the powder and dick about with my bindings. I like to ride through it...

Anyway, I had problems last year with my strap-ons. Strapping in, the ratchets would keep slipping over the straps or sometimes they'd pop out when I got going which was even worse. I thought maybe the straps were worn but they weren't at all. Powder had frozen solid into the notches so that the underside of the straps were effectively smooth. Getting the little chunks of ice out meant taking off my gloves and scraping at them with my fingernails while certain individuals stood about making unkind remarks.

A friend uses Burton step-ins and has no problem with clogging. Having very slender, sexy ankles myself, I can't find Burton boots where I don't get heel-lift. Vans Switch boots however seem to fit very well, are cheaper than Burton, and have a metal on metal interface which I prefer to the metal on plastic of Burton.

So I reckon I mice-well brush out step-ins as well as strap-ons, and enjoy the extra speed when they're not actually clogged.

Ocean11 - don't have much to offer on the snowboard issues but a little concerned to see that you have slipped to 4 stars - especially for someone in the thousands on the posts.

Also looking for the inside scoop on Nozawa. I drove through there on a rainy day last April from Hakuba but didn't ski. How is the moutain there? How much snow do they get? Is it crowded and how is the terrain? Tree skiing a possibility and also are there good places to stay. The town looked really cool. Never been to the European Alps but sure looked like pictures from there.

Ocean 11 - one of the good things about the Flow bindings is that you set them up once and thats it. There is fiddling with them. You just snap the back up and presto! You don't have to constantly alter the "straps" - or lack there of. Because it is one big strap (for lack of a better description) there aren't really any pressure points. You may feel a bit of pressure on the back of your ankle if the back part is done up to tight. but that cna be fixed in around 3 seceonds!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Cheers

Drew

Thanks Drew. I'll check them out too when I go back to England. They certainly look like a well-thought out system.

TeleSkier, down to 4-stars indeed. Well, popular acclaim is a fickle thing.

Nozawa gets heaps of snow, and was one of the first places to get 2 metres last year. They have two long ridge runs with decent steeps and loads of places to get in between the trees. A careful look at a map, at some aerial photos (they have several there), and out of the gondola windows will offer great rewards (but avoid the area with the avalanche barriers). The boyz I go with are fussy and jaded old men, and Nozawa is one of the few places good enough for them. It covers a huge area. Also, the ski patrol don't make a nuisance of themselves.

I've never stayed there, but friends have and the Haus St Anton is said to be good, as are some of the minshuku. There's another thread about this on the old Forum (which you may not be able to access now). I posted the number of a place that a ski instructor colleague recommended as being good.

Another good thing about Nozawa is the onsens. The lift ticket covers a big plush place, or you can squeeze yourself into any of the tiny free ones dotted about the town. There are some pleasant eateries there too, as well as in nearby Iiyama.

Did I leave anything out?

• 5 weeks later...

Yes indeedy doody, strap,strap,strap all tha way. but you do need to flex a little at the ankles, knees and hips, in order to `absorb the terrain`

yes, we all luv to ride through the pow, but there are times when you don`t have enough speed or you have a stack. i did have a few problems on these occasions with my burton SI`s. overall though, good preformance, BUT,,,

strap,strao,strap!