how do you guys cope? I am excited as this is the first time I have lived in a land of snow, but for all you 'regulars'... this must be killing you. Is that the reason for so many off-beat threads on this site?

start spending lots of money on gear...

don't do it all at once

spread it out so you get something new to look at every few weeks or so....

get into the habbit of checking weather maps now, so it becomes natural during the real season

Start DRYLAND training (I need to get off my arse...)

watch lots of warren miller movies

list goes on...its not that hard, we've been through the hard part already!

danz

so retail therapy is the masterbation of snowsports - what you do when the real thing isnt at hand.

I am buying goggles this weekend.

Do you really hate summer or do you have summer activities?

My younger brother goes from Canada snow to Australian snow. Has been doing it for years now. I doubt he has seen a summer for 5 years.

I recal ski resorts had a very particular smell. When ever I would smell it in the past I got an excited buzz inside me. Been over 10 years since I have been up high, does the smell still exist?

I recall it was a combo. of hot ski wax, the waft from hotel drying rooms, the crisp mountain air and some other things that I cant nail down.

On the topic of memories, I scored my first sexual romp with a girl in the snow. It was in a deisel generator shed. Very noisy (the generator that is). Great way to lose the big V.

Diesel perhaps deebee? One of those other smells you can't pin down. Unfortunately for petrol heads that don't exist in many resorts here.

For me dealing with the Summer means checking the resort pages back home everyday to see what the snow conditions are like. I try to work this into a calculation where if they have a bad one back home we are gonna have a great one here. Many many many flaws to this calculation, but ti certainly is great tourturing myself everyday! Beats doing work too!

It's all down hill from here!! YIPEEEEEEEEEEEE \:D \:D

I was permanently grumpy for 4 months after the end of my first season, and then sank into quiet despair that didn't show on the outside. That stayed with me until I saw my first snow on the mountains in November whereupon it turned into wild elation. I guess I'm not very good at controlling my emotions.

This year I've been a lot better, trying out a few boarding alternatives. I've started running again too for the fitness thing.

I've usually bought lots of cheap gear at the end of the season, so I can hear it rustling impatiently in the closest throughout the hot months. So I miss out on that purchasing buildup.

As for smells on the mountain, up till this year it's been mostly a case of wet cotton underwear (never again) and burning rubbish. The rural Japanese love to burn rubbish, especially if they can light a ciggie with the same flame. Even in the crisp mountain air, you sometimes catch a blast of burning chopsticks and plastic bags.