No moguls! Safety! (Skiers are a hazard to snowboarders.)

It's not a big deal really. There are small ski resorts that ban boarders. If a small snowboard resort bans skiers, it's not going to limit anybody's options much. And for somebody who feels, for whatever reason, that they don't want to deal with the hassle of the other kind, it may make a pleasant change. And there may be some other evolutionary benefits.

I have been researching my trip to Switzerland in January. Came across a place called Laax. It isnt 100% board, but it appears to be very very geared towards the board world. The owner of Laax is infact the ex-president of some big snowboard federation.

The main problem I have is the idea that I can't board with my buddies that ski (or girlfriend, or family members or whatever the case may be).

"Hey you want to go to the mountain?"

"Yeah, let's do it!"

"All right. Well you go over there, and I'll go over here. See you in 7 hours."

Baka!!

Enderzero...

You have made the penultimate point.. a resort of any kind that segregates skiers or boarders just futher inflames the problems by limiting your Mountain day friends to that of the same discipline....

You being from Seattle and myself from Vancouver originally - you undstand that, for the most parts, Skiers and Boarders coexist happily most of the times... I tend to not ski where the boarders go and vice versa...

At a place like Mt. Baker or Blackcomb I have never had a incident except - as I said before - where a GS Boarder was out carving up troughs in the groom.... If anything I was envious that he could lay out flat like that, almost laying down for a nap on the snow with huge rooster tails coming off his board at about 50 mph / 90 kph... I was on 207 GS skis at the time and could hardly keep up.... I only later found out it was Mark Fawcett who is a fair talent and a good racer... Man, it was a thing a beauty seeing him lay out those carves though....

I say the mountains over here may be narrow, but there is still enough room for all of us...

What do YOU think.....?? \:D

Well said Higuma.

Being that we have ridden a lot of the same terrain, (at least Baker and Blackcomb) how do the mountains in Japan stack up. From what I have read it sounds awesome. But I also talked to someone who was used to riding in the Cascades and said it was really pretty lame (at least in Nagano). She said the resorts were all pretty much equal to a small, one hill ski area like Snoqualmie Pass. So what gives? Did she just go to the wrong places or what? I know Blackcomb may be the best place to ride in the world...but what about Baker, Steven's or Seymour? Are they better than most of the riding in Japan too? Is Japan's claim to have more chairlifts than any other country backed up by hundreds of beginner chairs?

Quote:
Is Japan's claim to have more chairlifts than any other country backed up by hundreds of beginner chairs?
If that's true, maybe that statistic pairs up with the suggestion that the Jimbocho area of Tokyo accounts for a third (or whatever it was) of the world's sales of snowboard gear. Everybody's getting the gear to ride the lifts for the bunny runs twice a year.

Enderzero,

Sorry for the slow reply - busy day...

Firstly I have to admit that my mountain experience here is limited - Hokkaido only and even that is limited to the 4 times I got out in late spring conditions... been here less than a year...

But, the groomed terrain is comparable to our neck of the woods just shorter runs and a bit narrower - kinda like the clothes \:D There certainly isn't any 18,000' vertical before noon like at Blackcomb but it's snow and it's fun...

As far as powder... You will never get the terrain, depth or steeps like at home... but then we all know that at home is some of the best in the world, EH.... :p

I do however remember riding a chair at Furano this last spring thinking " Wow... look at all that nice untracked snow in the trees - If I was a tree skier that would be awesome..."

I certainly can't attest for the snow or mountains in Honshu but I don't think you can find anything to compare to the Coullier at Blackcomb or the cliff under the Pan chair at Baker....

Guess you'll just haveta come over here and find out for yourself...