Quote:
Originally posted by sakebomb:
Man what is up with the weather in Australia lately. It is summer and it snowed in the Snowy Mountains. It is not unheard of in February, but there was about 12cm+. Heard an interview with someone in the mountain regions that the day before was 35degrees C. Crazy stuff.
http://www.ski.com.au/news/pics/-100526-.jpg

A photo taken yesterday at Falls Creek, Victoria - MIDDLE OF SUMMER??!!

It's been in the high 30's © for the last week with high humidity - then we got this enormous south-west change come through which dropped the temps in Sydney to the low 20's with loads of rain and corresponding low humidity.

Temp variations in this place are interesting!

Where are you Sake Bomb? Here in Melbourne it absolutely pissed down rain non-stop for over 30 hours. Floods everywhere ... amazing stuff.

At one point on Tuesday it was 12 degrees on the coast and over 30 degrees inland in places like Seymour, less than 2 hours drive away.

While it was snowing in the alps (15cm at Buller), an hour or two north at Albury it was still hovering in the mid-twenties.

While this will all have absolutely no effect on the winter season here, it's still good to see the hills covered in snow again \:\)

the BoM site ( http://www.bom.gov.au ) has heaps of info on this amazing weather.

That is just too freaky.

My mum grew up in Mt Beauty (foot of Falls Creek). She remembers having heavy valley snow at xmas once.

There is an Australian 'survival' forum that has a whole bunch of guys building underground shelters in anticipation of some massive weather event (like an instant ice age, mega violent non-stop storms, peak oil, you name it). They have been going nuts recently at al the freak weather around the world.

You know there was snow is North Africa a few weeks ago? Rain in Pac NW, pretty light snow in Europe, mega dumps in Japan, warmest and driest summer in Britain for 10 years.

ok void, for a temp change of topic, try the following. None of them will give you a feeling of prosperity, some may very easily convince you. I do not participate in these forums. I also think some people in them have a screw loose. Others seem quite rational.

aussurvivalist.com

globalpublicmedia.com

peakoil.com/forums

That last one will really keep you awake at night. You just might be sorry for asking.

I used to take gradual weather change quite seriously (the next ice age could easily slowly start in the next 100 years). But that is not going to threaten me today, next year or next decade. I do however take our industrial and agricultural dependency on oil and gas very seriously. That situation is going to screw with the world in a massive way and in 10-15 years time life will be quite different and we are going to be forced to do some serious adaptation. I am not an extremist, but I am thankful that in the next 30 years I have the right to return to Australia: an underpopulated peaceful society that has no significant role or position at all in the global game of power and is in the southern hemisphere. I actually feel sorry for many people who do not have that right. Many so called civilised countries today have 10’s of thousands of criminals that would shoot you for your Nike runners and no real sense ‘lets pull together, she’ll be right mate’ attitude under adversity. In a serious global crisis (nuke, oil/food, drop in global temperatures) I think Australia is the place to be. I would not want to be in America or England or many parts of Asia. And besides, Australia seems to be having progressively better and better ski seasons!! See, back on topic \:\)

Ps – Australia is the oldest most stable continent on Earth that has had continuous human habitation for 65,000 years. It is the lucky country ;\)

A mate of mine was bummed as he has a week of mountain biking planned for this coming week at Buller. Yesterday the trails were closed due to the 15cm of snow but even when they do open they'll be as sloppy as hell.

Quote:
And besides, Australia seems to be having progressively better and better ski seasons!! See, back on topic
Nice topic deviation & return there 34 - impressive.

Those sites are quite interesting. I would totally do the "walk away slowly, don't make eye contact" thing if I were to run into one of the more extreme survivalists. Those dudes have hoardes of weapons waiting to take control the second the world falls over. Scary shit. And Peak Oil crisis ... quite scary if even close to being accurate.

Similar to you, I'm aware of what could and will happen in the near future, and I do whatever I can to minimise my impact upon this planet (think I might buy one of those Honda Insights next year), but a (very) small part of me is happy if it means more snow \:\) All that would be needed then is some tremendous tectonic movement that pushes the Great Dividing Range another 1000 meters upwards, and perhaps closes the gap between the Vic Alps and Melb to ... hmmm ... an hour or so? Sure, we'd lose Yea and Mansfield, but it's all about adaptation, like you said.