Quote:
but other than step ins, most boots are compatible with strap in bindings right?
technially yes, but the way the flow bindings are they have a panel at the front you click in and dont touch and you flick the back up and your off.... but the way the plastic back flick thingi is made may not suit the curve of say flux boots or rossingal or some other brand...

in general every boot should fit every binding yes......

bar burton which i havent seen yet and K2's

For most of the types of step-in there are at least a couple of makers of bindings. If you buy one or the other sort, you should know what the deal is, so there's nothing tricky about it. If you have K2 Clicker boots, you wouldn't want to be getting Burton bindings of any sort.

Actually, you can attach Burton bindings to normal boards, with a limited number of positions with the Burton 3D baseplate, and with the full range of positions with the 4-hole compatible base plate. So if Burton boots happen to fit best, get them. You can use them with other bindings anyway (unless you get Burton step-ins, which are often highly rated).

As I understand it, Flow boots are very slim and don't work too well with much else, nor do Flow bindings work with thicker boots.

I agree about the websites. They always show you some matey doing a massive jump - "Show me the effin boots!" I yell every time. You go to a product website to get info, not to look at pretty pictures of people doing stuff you're never gonna do. Are you listening, you ef-wits?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

I agree about the websites. They always show you some matey doing a massive jump - "Show me the effin boots!" I yell every time. You go to a product website to get info, not to look at pretty pictures of people doing stuff you're never gonna do. Are you listening, you ef-wits?
:D haha i could not agree more.
i dont really like how all the websites are strictly about the latest ie 02/03 season gear. doing research on older stuff is a pain in the arse.

flow are step in

i know lots of people what wear other boots with flow bindings flow are pretty popular in australia and can be hard to get....

but because the front is adjustable and the back i adjustable too.....

from what i have heard burton is just best fit with burton bindings although yes im sure the boots would fit in to step ins...

freaky gal,,, Ocean11 is right. ya can use burton bindings on any board simply by changing baseplates. tha set-up they`ve got is actually tha best goin around. why doesn`t anyone else employ it??? i hear ya ask. because it`s patented, that`s why.

oh yeah, everything in everything is a scam. it`s just a matter of which `scam` works best for you!!!

d.b. just make sure ya get that `strap in` set up. it`s comfortable and convienient. don`t be sold on `time-saving` or any o` tha other gimmicks they throw at ya. happy hunting!!!

hi powwwwwwwwwwer ,

funny you say that about time saving... I have just started to (re) investigate step ins. Burton PSI etc.

I agree on what you say about money grabs/scams ... all brands are out for the money grab, that is there job! One cant resent them for it.

hey d.b. i rode those step-ins for a cuppla seasons. they more than sufficed. BUT, in my humble opinion, ya can`t beat conventional strap-ins for overall performance.

if ya do land yarself some step-ins, be sure to get ones with a high back, as they will encourage forward lean, which is very important when starting out.

n.b. d.b. avoid flashy gimicks and tha latest `thing` stick with proven reliability and track record. R&D will beat tha best `TEAM` anyday. ;\)

`Saving time` is one of those gimicks, because you still only ride at a pace which is comfortable for YOU. plus, if ya ride in a crew, you usually have to wait for someone anyway.

Thanks powers.

As for waiting for you crew to strap in, not a problem for me. I have not mates[1] so I will be riding alone all this season.

[1] none that go to the snow any way.

flow arent step in like K2's with the metal bars and clickers....

they are like strap ins but instead of fiddling with thestraps at the front evertime you get off a lift you just put your foot in to the binding and click the back up....

check it out....

FL59_9.jpg

FL59_6.jpg flow bindings - not flow site

they are on the 3rd page of the gallery with lots of difffernt views...! ENJOY

Wow where have I been? This thread totally took off without me.

My input: It is good you have already decided on straps. That is the first key decision. There are definitely more quality boots for strap-ins.

Gimmicks? Yeah they are out there, but when it comes to boot quality you really will get better boots if you spend more money. I recommend getting one of the top two models by a manufacturer. This is truer with boots than with any other component of your setup.

One gimmicky sort of thing is the Vans cable tie. I thought it looked way lame and easy to break, but I have been talking to a lot of industry folks who say it is extremely cool. Apparently you get extra ties incase they break and they are pretty simple to install. Check those out.

Other boot companies I recommend checking out:

Salomon (I've run the Malamutes the last 2 seasons)

Northwave

Nidecker

DC

Burton (their top line stuff)

The Snowboard_Freaks love to go on about Flow. Take it with a grain of salt. I have heard the bindings are good for those that want an alternative to strap ins but don't really compare to the top of the line straps. I've also heard they don't fit well unless you have the Flow boots. I've never heard of anyone running Flow boots with different bindings. They are funny looking boots. But the pair together can work very well for some riders.

It all comes down to how they boots fit. Then you need to look at the quality of the materials. How long will these suckers last? Some boots can get pretty torn up after as little as a couple dozen days of hard riding.

I am going to a big snow gear expo this weekend. Thinking about picking up some new boots. I'll let you know what I am impressed by afterwards.

Clothing: Sessions get a thumbs up.

Snow/skateboard Industry Websites: Big fat thumbs down. What is the deal with these ultra stylized pages? I just want to see big, high quality pictures of the gear I am thinking about buying. Even if they have pics of everything they are usually too small. Very frustrating.

hey dude,

thanks for the cool advice on boots etc. I just read it... after getting home from buying boots!

It was a bit of an ordeal. Almost zero communication level made it hard to know if the boots were right or not. But it also meant I was saved the sales pitch.

I tried on a whole bunch of boots and pretty much just chose the most comfortable. I got a pair by thirtytwo. I am wearing them now.

I think I may have ended up with boots that are more at the freestyle end of the range than free ride. The guy in the shop said that they are all purpose but better for free style than free ride. (I think that is what he said)

I am not sure if I have ended up with the best boots. It was so damn hard to tell. They all felt very snug and what have you. Some felt to loose on my foot even though they were the right size. I have a skinny foot and ankle.

For all I know these boots are to small (I think they may be a little small in terms of length).

They are very light compared to the other brands.

A question if I may:

I understand forward flex, but what about lateral ? is that side to side flex? Also medial flex... is that twisting flex?

Oh, because I am so happy to throw away money (read: shopping makes me act like I am drunk) I bought a set of Flow bindings as well. Not so sure why I did that.

TM-two.

They are comfy. I have had them on for 5 hours now, plus my helmet.

I think that they might be slightly to short, my toes just touch the front (I seem to have small feet but long toes - ugly)

The TM-Twos seem pretty sweet. I think you made a good decision. How much did they cost you over there?

Don't believe the freestyle vs freeride boot thing. Those boots are good for whatever riding you want to do. That just refers to the stiffness. A better fit is more important.

They TM-twos's seem to fit the flow bindings fine. But I have not riden in them and have no experience is what fits a binding well, so I really wouldn't take my comment as worth much.

The boots cost JPY37000,

bindings JPY39000

deebee, just make sure you keep your toenails nice and trim, so that the end of your toes rather your toenails touch the end of the boot.

If you don't, you can end up with black toenails.