Actually a quite complex question. I'd say it depends on the snowpack/steepness/length and how much energy you want to use.

Lots of people use snowshoes unless it's really hardpack snow. Postholing and sinking up to your knees and sometimes waist is pretty tiring. But if it's really short, maybe postholing is ok.

On firm hardpack, sometimes you don't need snowshoes. Then again, you may need crampons if it's icy or steep.

Then again, if you are on a splitboard (like me) or skis, you could use skins. But then, skiers sometimes also kickstep with their boots when it's too steep or they don't have skins..

Sometimes, though, I see people pulling their board or skis by rope. They were either on snowshoes or ski boots.

I find skinning up the easiest by far, although I carry verts snowshoes in case I screwed up my traverse out and need a short hike up, or there's too much snow on the skins and they aren't working anymore. Verts are cool, they are ultra cheap, about $75 for a pair and pretty damn light.