I just found out Thursday that I have to have knee surgery in two weeks. Puts a bit of a damper on the beginning of the season. The biatch of it is, I hurt my knee in a ski training class.

My question is - do you think skiing or boarding is easier on the knees? I ski great and only board decently. I just read an article that Bodie Miller will be having knee surgery and then competing a week later. The docs told me it would be 2-3 months. I can't do that. I just want to ride one way or the other.

Any advice or other stories from injury prone people?

I know the answer is to take some time off, heal. But.....this is going to be one heck of a season and I don't want to sit it out..

What's the surgery and what is the exact nature of the injury...

MCL - ACL - Cartilage???

More Info and then I will comment..

Also are they going in orthoscopicly or by general scalpal surgery?

I tore my meniscus (again). Just going to get scoped and cleaned out and sewed up (I hope). Last time I had this done, they put a dead guys meniscus in me. Luckily, my ligaments are really strong. It's my cartilage that is messed up. Got milk? Seriously though, it hurts like hell and keeps locking up in my sleep. I was supposed to go ski the Hokkodas today but litteraly couldn't get out of bed. That's the gist of it.

Sapporo? Niseko??? I envy you......

I have "enjoyed" a Medial Miniscotomy - removal of most of my medial meniscus cartilage in my right knee about 12 years ago....

At the time I had suffered an incomplete ACL tear and a rotary disfunfunctin of this knee = a twisting hyperextension dislocation of my right knee... I would have prefered to simply break my leg actually - at least they usually heal!!

So seeing as the surgery / injury is similar let me say this;

You really want them to fix that cartilage and take the necesary time to let it heal... I don't have much of one now and the troubles - bone spurs / arthritis / instability / footbed and canting alignment (static and dynamic) problems are simply not worth the hastle and daily pain...

In my case my orthopod back in Canada says that I will be a prime candidate for a knee replacement in about 10 - 15 years (about 55 years old) because of the lack of this all importsnt cartilage...

On the otherhand as an insurance policy - ask your orthopod about "Orthovis" injections.. this is a two part cartilage gel like substance that has to be injected into your knee 3 seperate times at a intereval of 1 week exactly.. It builds up on the cartilage acting as a lubricant type deal and lasts from 6 months to 3 years... I was going to get it done before leaving Canada but never got around to it... it would have cost me about $350 cdn because health care didn't cover it ......

Hope that helps... you would get a real chuckle to see my xrays - what a mess... It's always funny when I go to the orthopod to see him because when he asks his assitant for my films she has to go to storage and get out a file box as opposed to an envelope... I think the Canadian goverment was putting his kids through college on my health insurance at the time :p

Higuma - thank you for the advice!

So basically, get it done, get it fixed and let it heal. I guess since it's not ligaments, I think of it as not being serious. I just shouldn't mess with it and take care of it though.

It's so hard - I'm 28 but feel 18 - until I look in the mirror. I'm skiing better than I ever have. I just want to go-go-go. Like I said, I know the answer, but I can't deal until I hear someone else say it.

When I did it before, I actually kept surfing until I had the procedure. I tried that here yesterday - snow on the beach, offshore winds, but no waves. I just need to stop, let it heal, and then rip it later in the season and have fun. I don't want a replacement surgery anytime soon.

Hey, I'll scan my surgery pics and post them if you will yours \:\) Mine aren't pretty either! I know what you mean about broken bones though - they do heal. This cartiledge and ligament stuff never seems to.

Again....Niseko????? you suck \:\) I hope to be there later this winter!

I think that's the best thing... I am about 12 or so years older than you so for me I can be a little more fatalistic about the whole deal and ski through the pain with lots and lots of Ibuprofen - but you... you're young and have some of the best years of your life ahead of you so don;t blow it now by being impatient...

BTW - First day looks like Sapporo Kokusai on the 28th followed by Niseko Hirafu on the 12 / 13 then Furano just before Christmas... I send picts for you to drool over while rehabbing....

;\)

Cheers..

Again, thanks for the advice. I know you are right. Just let it heal.

On the other hand - you bastard! \:\) I don't WANT to see those pics! so unkind, so unkind.....

Have you seen the movie "High Life" from Icon 2?

It's a Japanese ski flik with all Japanese skiers and telemarkers (and some boarders). It is......insane. Probably one of the best ski movies I've ever seen. I drool everytime I watch it. They feature Niseko and......my God, I can't even think about it. Just, the best snow ever. One of my good friends is japanese and he told me to buy it. Best purchase I've made while in Japan!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Getting back to your original question, I would have to say that boarding is better on the knees. I have a chronic knee problem in my left knee. It is very rare that I will come home from a day on the mountain with a sore knee, yet sometimes just going for a short run will make it flare up.

I haven't skied in a few years, but remember it being more of an issue then.

I know it is hard to do but I would really consider takin some time off and lettng that thing get back to normal. Knee injuries suck, and if not jumping the gun now can save you problems down the road then don't go out.

See you in spring.

I screwed my knee a few years ago and had a lot of the cartilage taken out and then later my ACL replaced. The ligament took AGES and lots of physio to get sorted but I had the arthroscopy jobby and it sorted itself out ok pretty quickly, just needed time to get over the trauma of having my knee pumped with fluid and poked around with the instruments.

WARNING. A mate of mine had an arthroscopy in Japan, they kept him in hospital for about 5 days, put him in a full length cast for a few weeks (ie major muscle wasting) and hes still having problems. The same operation back home is day surgery where you limp out afterwards without even crutches. BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE THIS IN JAPAN

With regards to skiing or boarding its a tough question and I guess depends on specific people. Everyone tells me to board because its easier on your knees but because of the ACL surgery I cant kneel really so that stuffs that up. Also, although only my personal opinion but when I watch boarders stopping suddenly and the impact on their knees I know I couldnt do it. I ski alright but it is a bit sore sometimes. Just build your quads up good and youll be halfway there. Good luck! ;\)

I always hear that skiing is bad on knees. Them moguls must really do a skiers knees in. The positives from that tho' are skiers look soooooo cooooool doing their stuff on moguls ;\)

Markie, you cosmopolitan you!

There's the Clifton Suspension Bridge built by Brunel over the Avon Gorge, within Bristol itself, and the Severn Bridge over the River Severn connecting rach's farm with Wales. Both bridges are spectacular in their own way.

Jumping off either will require extensive knee surgery or complete replacement.

• 2 weeks later...