I have had a lucky turn and can take some leave b4 xmas. Once I farm out my hound I am free to spend 5 days on the snow. Problem is I cant make up my mind.

Where would you spend 5 days in Japan?

Should I just wait until the day before and go where the snow is best?

I suppose I am aiming at one of the bigger places so I can really get around the mountain in my 5 days. I could go back to Hakuba, but would like to try something different, although there are plenty of places in Hakuba that I am yet to visit.

I am thinking about that place in north japan with the big rope car and the tree ghosts.

Would a place like Nozawa be suitable for 5 days? What about Shiga Kogen area?

No doubt I should consider one of teh places in Niseko, although the travel eats a full day of my valuable leave.

I considered Arai, but the accom. is to steep for that many nights (I dont care much for the luxury, I just want to be warm, comfy, well fed and alseep at night time, so I am not usually prepared to pay that much).

If you had to pack your bag for 5 days where would you head?

C`mon Deebee! How many times do I have to tell you...HOKKAIDO!!! \:D It`s the ONLY destination for me if I got 5 days off in a row(probably 4 on the slopes, 1 just relaxing&doing a bit of sightseeing). It`s still not too late to reserve a package at your nearest travel agency. Whatever you decide to do have a great time!

Bro. leave Tokyo early am. arrive in Niseko early afternoon. first day you have the full night session and maybe a few hours before if U are lucky. 3 more days of 820am-9pm and last day you can pack ya gear up and snowboard until the last bus (3pm) to the airport.. change on the bus.

I can guarantee that you wouldn't get more value than Niseko's passport. and the nighta is what i think makes it the best. most other nighta courses that i have seen are lame, just the bottom few runs that U would bore from reall easily! (Arai and others)

I have only 4 days bro and I am off to niseko coz its where the value is!

correct me please if I am wrong!

yeah, sounds great, but the cheapest fare I can find is y18,400 one way, and that requires me to catch the 9.50pm flight home. A little much at this stage. I reckon I am going to have to 'settle' for something more local. Somehow I think it will not let me down.

you will be happy if you go to nozawa - start on course, then duck ropes. It is suitable for 5 days, and it is beautiful. not much nightlife, but right now, no people either. the groomed runs are fast, and I can hook you up with some people that go all the time, and can show you around.

it`s all about the noz.

hey barok, turned into a yeti yet?I have been sussing it out, the noz that is. Sure seems pretty big. May not be fully open by then (next thursday) which has both +ve and -ve aspects.

thanks for the offer on the hook up with the crew, will let you know where I am at.

DB, My mates just got a package from Nagoya, 53,000 flights meals (brekie/dinner) only spending and lift tix needed.

thats a 3 night stay..

but thats for 2 people... One is always frikkin exy! try akakura??

Ahh, just realised that they are pretty amuch all next to each other. I am easily confused.

I am presently tossing up between Akakura (and teh other places just down the road in Myoko Kogen) and Nozawa.

i would do nozawa. actually i am doing nozawa during xmas and new years. you can get a 6 day anytime pass for about 22,000yen. with all that boarding, you can relax in some of the many onsens in the village.

Pubic nudity is no problem. For me the onsen is just like the showers public showers at the stadium changing room after a hockey match. At least it's blokes only. What takes getting used to, however, is the attendant there who is always a little old lady. So be warned, deebee, there's always a sheila in there!

girls are not a problem, I just dont like the idea of lolling around in a bath with naked men who I dont know, and it has nothing to do with homophobia. I also have issue with sharing my water - I HATE public pools as it is. Hey, when I have a bath I dont even wash my face in teh same water that my butt has been soaking in - gross. I take fresh water from the tap. So I certainly dont want to bath in other peoples bum water, regardless of how fast the overflows and is replenished.

I also dont like the idea of sharing water with any of the people I see on the train each day with their vast array of skin complaintear infections and evidently very itchy bums.

To put it in 1 sentence: I dont like rubbing shoulders (literally) every day with strangers in this crowded country, why would I then want to bath with them? Give me space and a private life any day.

My mate got settled into one of those public baths in Nozawa with his son, and was amazed at the loud and uninhibited sounds of expectoration coming from the 'women's' half. Cor blimey, thinks he, they must have a drop of the rough stuff in the girl's section today.

Only when a succession of naked young women have flitted into the bathroom and flitted out again very quickly without bathing does the silly bugger realize he's sitting stark b0ll0ck naked in the wrong section.

So do check the kanji and the colour scheme before you get your clothes off (if you care about stuff like that...)

Na, didnt have a choice, but of major banking centres in the world Toikyo would probably be my 1st or 2nd choice anyway.

I like personal space, something I grew up with, cant get used to body contact with strangers, something most japanese see to have grown up with.