My buddies and I are currently in Hakkoda. the conditions are good here, with lots of snow. But the primary goal of this trip is to go up North and ride a couple resorts in Hokkaido. It looks like Kurodake is the place to go for steep sidecountry lines. But I looked at the Kurodake web site, and it seems to say that the ropeway there is closed for maintenence. I don't know if Google is translating the page properly, and I can't read Kanji, so I'm not completely sure. Can someone please have a look and confirm for me?

The website and the also the page on this site say it will be closed until and including 6th February.

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/hokkaido/kamikawa/daisetsuzan-sounkyo-kurodake

I don't know any more than that but generally I would take reasons for being closed with a pinch of salt.

I remember Kayama Captain Coast said they would be closed for 'exciting new infrastructure' which actually meant that they were closing for good. :lol:

The ropuway (as they call it) does close once a month or something but the message you are seeing on the website is in regards to the chair lift at the top of the ropuway. It is closed all winter for "maintainence". All this means is you have to skin an extra few hundred metres to get to the summit.

The ropeway and chair are open for the beginning of the winter, then close during jan for 'maintenance'. That's just mainly because they get so much snow, and the weather is generally too bleak for anyone to really want to be up there.

They re open the ropeway first, and then the chairlift a little later for spring skiing.

There seems a limited area for safe skiing (Peak to Chair). Sidecountry would be limited by cliffs. Apparently same under the ropeway to base. Was fully exposed to high winds on my only visit. Asahidake may be better?