Ski in April with decent selection of izakayas

We are beginner/intermediate skiers. Am considering spending 2-3 nights in April in a conveniently reached ski resort from tokyo. We are 2 friends who love food and drinks(beer sake) so nightlife options like nomihodai or izakaya would be nice. Was thinking naeba, kagura or hakuba area. Any suggestions? Among the three, which would be the most affordable? How much would accomodation cost approximately? Thanks!

There is no nightlife in Kagura and not that much in the Naeba village either really.

If you are skiing those places, the nearest nightlife would be in Yuzawa Town which is just 15 mins from the base of Kagura and possibly where you would stay anyway.

There's a fair few izakaya in Yuzawa. Not many gaijin.

I'm not expert on Hakuba and don't know the izakaya scene there at all.

You might want to check these:

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-places-to-stay/area/yuzawa-niigata

http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-places-to-stay/area/hakuba-nagano

:wave:

Yuzawa is quickest n easiest accessed area from Tokyo.....shink is about 90 mins. Yuzawa is a year round village so has izakayas etc....don't expect banging nightlife but certainly good food n cold beer. Kagura and Naeba are 20 and 30 mins by bus from centre of town but in April it's be Kagura you'd hit for sure

For Hakuba in April, they'll be no shuttle buses so stay somewhere that's close to the slopes or will drive you around if you don't have a car.

I don't go to izakayas often but I wouldn't be surprised if the main ones, i.e., Nonjae, Hie, Kitchonchon, could do you one if you booked a course menu as an "enkai" and don't just go as a normal walk-in customer.

If you're eating out, staying somewhere on a b&b basis should get you a room with bath/toilet for 6 or 7,000 a night per person. It might be cheaper overall to stay somewhere that'll give you an accom+lift ticket package.

April on a weekday will be very quiet.