JR EAST PASS VS SINGLE TICKET - TOKYO TO NAGANO

Hello all, finally getting close to my long and eagerly awaited trip to Hakuba from Australia. Leave Jan 17th.

A lot of people suggest the JR east rail pass, approx, $250.00au, from Tokyo. We plan on catching the Narita sky express, $30au approx, direct to Nippori which is where our hotel is, (shopping for ski gear in Kanda) then the bullet train to Nagano from Ueno 2 days later.

The cost for a one way ticket to Nagano is approx, $90 Au. We are sight seeing in Tokyo for 3 days after our 7 days on the snow. We dont plan on doing any other trips out of Tokyo.

I guess I am just asking you all if I have the costings right or am I missing something which would make the JR pass worthwhile buying before we leave.

Thank you again for all your help over the year.

Manfred & Donna

Probably not worth it. The only advantage would be not buying tickets every time. You might consider a Kanto pass (you can buy them at Narita airport). They are for any three days and are 8,000 yen. Problem is they don't cover to Nagano, but they do cover to Sakudaira and from Sakudaira to Nagano and back is 6,500 yen. Tokyo to Nagano and back is 15,940 yen with the pass would be 14,500. If the timing is right you could also take a JR train instead of the Skyliner from Narita to Tokyo and this would also be covered in the pass. If you were willing to go to Yuzawa instead of Nagano (also a good ski area) You could buy a 9,000 yen pass that is good for Kanto + Yuzawa.

Thanks Mate, I also think? there is Keiser skyliner pass which includes metro trains and Narita to Nippori for 3 days 2600y. I will check out your suggestion reYuzawa the other resort, Every thing is booked for Hakuba, but this is our first trip so we are willing to learn and explore other locations. Thank you for your imput.

I think im on the right track,(get it?) with the rail pass every dollar counts. Do you know anything about prices for int, skis in the Kanda area, seems that there are bargins if you dont care if its last years stock. (Stock) , get it? Gee Im on fire..lol Sorry .

Wasn't meant to be.....just making sure :cheers:

All good, thanks for the cor

Sky Access?

Sky Access?

Thanks, now I know why I thought there where 2 different deals..Sky Acess seems like a good option

rection