I got the ortovox digital + analog one from backcountrystore.com

It ran me $279 US - I wouldn`t want to pay any less really.

Ortovox is the top name in beacon technology, and the thing works, although I haven`t had to be rescued or rescue anyone yet - and I hope I never have to.

Mamutt is god but expensive. This beacon does most of the work for you. If your a begginer go with it. Remember its your life so what is it worth. Its no good to have a beacon without a shovel or probe at least. Also a little knowledge at least read a book if you dont have any knowledge. Goodluck any questions please ask.

The cheapest beacon Ive seen in Japan is the pieps opti four. I got mine for 19000 yen. Its an old style analouge beacon so you need to practice with it to learn to use them well. Expensive digital beacons are much easier to use but hey Its better to ride with a cheap beacon than no beacon at all.

Remember you should plan to never use your beacon because they are just a back up when bad decisions have already been made.

Up to 20 percent of avalanche victims are killed in the slide itself so dont think a beacon is a magic force field.

But as the other guys said Its your life we are talking about so get some kind of beacon even if its not the top of the line.

Interesting thread, actually curious to hear if there's any consesus on WHERE you need to have a beacon, shovel and probe. eg is this just for extended back-country use, or do you carry this anytime you just duck the ropes?

-montoya

Montoyas WHERE question is an interesting one. Lots of people like to duck the rope and ride a bit of powder at the edge of the course and its probably not that dangerous but in boarding things tend to progress. Soon you want to ride something better. Riding out of bounds just near a resort can be dangerous for a lot of reasons.

A few things to watch out for near resorts..

1. Powder panic riding.

this occurs when a large pack of riders rush to shred an out of bounds area. The object is to be the first to slash as much powder as possible. Usually nobody is thinking avalanche and nobody has a clue what to do in an emergency.

2. I can see the resort and hear crap music so Its safe here.

This is wrong, the distance from the resort has absolutly no bearing on slope stability.

3. Expert Locals.

These guys will point you down some slope saying something like "its sick dude evrybody rides there" and "Ive ridden it tons of times and Ive never seen an avalanche."

I personally think its best to ride prepared whwnever outside a controlled area. That way you can let your riding progress knowing that your riding smart.