Presently I have the phone or an old canon power shot to take snaps with. I kinda like these images (stills or video where you see the whole person doing turns from above / passing by/ below) over the go pro edits but can also recognize the +ve’s for the go pro type cameras and really like edits where people have both c/w music. I suppose buying both is the solution but would like to hear other’s view

Anyone got thoughts/ opinions on the go-pro Vs SLR type cameras?

I definitely rate the go pro. Very easy to just chuck in your pocket and forget about it, then pull it out when something's worth filming. The buttons are big and very simple so no need to take your gloves off. Take some footage or a photo, back in the pocket and off you go again.

I use it much more from my hand or a pole to film others than I do for POV footage from a head mount though. I think going round with it on your head all day filming everything is a bit dull!

It's waterproof, shockproof and good value for the quality of picture. It also makes a great travel camera.

I don't own one but Panasonic micro 4/3s cameras shoot great video and stills. They're small enough to fit in a big pocket and have a fast enough shutter and high ISO (to let you use a fast shutter) for great photographs. Some easily pocketable compacts like the Sony RX100 are supposed to be very good too.

SLRs are a lot of weight to carry around, getting them in and out of your bag is a major hassle, and video shot without a tripod or a full-on rig tends to be very shaky. Video on an SLR is shot with the mirror up looking at the back screen, which is far less stable for handholding than when taking photographs with the thing up to your eye. If you are deliberate and take the time to get everything set up, SLRs will give you the best image quality, but there are dozens of smaller cameras that provide more than enough image quality and controllability and shutter response. The "the only good digital cameras are SLRs" idea went out five years ago.

For shooting others, a standard video camera (Pana, JVC, Sony, etc.) will be cheaper than a GoPro and have advantages like a screen and a zoom. They are nowhere near as durable though and will need to be kept reasonably dry. Some modern video cameras are also small enough to fit in a pocket.

Obviously if you want something wearable, you want a Go Pro or similar, but you said SLR which suggests that feature is not essential. I'd love to see someone wearing an SLR though.

a mate has some of those liquid crystal googles with the camera in the centre - cyclops cam if you will. Easy to use with big buttons so no gloves off in -15c. And no penis extension sitting up top of your helmet like a go pro (that seems to get knocked out of direction when tree skiing). That said, teh LC google is ok. The big problem we noticed is that the colour washes out when its sunny - everything just looks overexposed when you review the footage. His is a few years old now so perhaps the new versions have solved that problem.