Reported here as the "largest typhoon ever to make landfall" - not quite sure what that means, but it sure as hell ain't a fun place to be!

Seems to be heading for Vietnam at the moment, and they are moving people out of all low-lying coastal areas.

Thoughts and hopes for safety going to all affected! :omg:

Reported here as the "largest typhoon ever to make landfall" - not quite sure what that means, but it sure as hell ain't a fun place to be!

I have just spent a few hours analysing this sentence and consulting with a few friends who are experts at "English", and it seems to be that it means that this was the largest typhoon to make landfall, ever.

I hope that helps, and I'm glad to help!

I have just spent a few hours seconds analysing this sentence and consulting with a few friends who are experts at "English", and it seems to be that it means that this was the largest typhoon to make landfall, ever.

I hope that helps, and I'm glad to help!

But, how do you measure the "size" of a typhoon? diameter, wind speed, pressure differences, or what?

Consult a few more friends, pies, and let us know what you come up with! :confused:

I believe wind speed was the factor that made it #1 in history to make landfall. Up to 314kmh. Previously the highest wind speed recorded for a tropical storm making landfall was Hurricane Camille in 1969. It hit Mississippi with winds up to 305kmh. Compared to all other storms ever recorded it had the 4th highest wind speeds ever recorded. As far as low pressure goes it is the 12th lowest ever recorded.